06 April 2010

Kosher


Monday was the last day of the Jewish holiday of Passover. I don't know that 'cause I'm Jewish. I know that 'cause I looked it up on the internet.

And because we bought a babka. Incidentally, I have no idea why the bakery spelled babca with a "c" since there are almost no words in Dutch with a "c". The "k" is in just about every word - including babka. And furthermore, the "c" is worth FIVE points in Dutch Scrabble. The equivalent of FIVE points for a "k" in American Scrabble, ironically.

It (the babka) wasn't chocolate, but it was really good.


And if you're a Seinfeld fan, you know exactly what I mean.

I also ran across this at the grocery store. And many more similar products with the same disclaimer. I don't even know what to say about that.


It did make me curious about what is and is not kosher and the chief rabbinate and all. So, naturally, I looked it up and here is the basic . . .

Kosher Kode

1 - Certain animals may not be eaten at all including by-products of these forbidden animals.
> I do not have a current list of the forbidden animals and I don't think I want one.


2 - Of the animals that may be eaten, the birds and mammals must be killed in accordance with Jewish law.
> Apparently birds and mammals are not forbidden and I do not know the specifics of this law of killing.


3 - All blood must be drained from meat and poultry or broiled out of it before it is eaten.
> I think we can all agree on that one.


4 - Certain parts of permitted animals may not be eaten.
> That too should apply for the rest of us.


5 - Fruits and vegetables are permitted, but must be inspected for bugs (which cannot be eaten).
> Who can argue with that?


6 - Meat cannot be eaten with dairy. Fish, eggs, fruits, vegetables and grains can be eaten with either meat or dairy.
> Pretty rare to substitute steak 'n milk for steak 'n ale so I can see how this makes perfect sense.


7 - Utensils (including pots and pans and other cooking surfaces) that have come into contact with meat may not be used with dairy, and vice versa.
> Basic kitchen etiquette. Don't cut up the chicken with the butter knife.


8 - Utensils that have come into contact with non-kosher food may not be used with kosher food. This applies only where the contact occurred while the food was hot.
> Overload. I need to read that one again. . . and maybe again?


9 - Grape products made by non-Jews may not be eaten.
> Does that include drinking too? There aren't many French Jews and the French make pretty good grape products. I would need to know this.


10 - There are a few other rules that are not universal.
> Ooooh, that really runs the gamut.


And of course, this spiked my curiosity about Yiddish which turns out is a combination of German mixed with Hebrew and a few other languages thrown in. So since Dutch is sorta like German . . .

Here are just a few words to add to your vocabulary:

chutzpah - extreme arrogance
kvetsch - complain
mishegas - insanity
nosh - nibble; a light snack
shlep - to drag something you don't really need (like that extra suitcase)
schlemiel - clumsy, inept person
schmendrik - a jerk
shmooze - chat; make small talk
schmuck - self-made fool
spiel - long, involved sales pitch
tchatchke - knick-knack; little toy

Disclaimer: these words probably have a dozen meanings; use them at your own risk.

Shalom!

4 comments:

  1. Shalom,
    thanks for the shout out :-)
    Livnat(Israeli that loves to read your blog!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And thank YOU, Livnat for the comment! Glad to meet ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was the babca a "cinnamon babca"? "Cinnamon takes a back seat to no babca!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kosher kode is pretty logical I must say...and I am so jealous you got to have a Babca. Been wanting to try one since I saw it on Seinfeld. Dogs and Lions come out of hiding with the mere mention of Seinfeld.

    ReplyDelete