14 April 2010

Dear Lawrence


An assignment in our Flemish class was to respond to a letter in our workbook. The letter is from Lawrence and he asks in his letter for the student to write him back and describe what we do every day. This was of course an opportunity for us to use our sentence structure skills and vocabulary for ordinary daily activities.

Now this assignment wasn't so much a challenge because it was to be written in Flemish (however that is challenge enough), but because I don't have a lot of activities in my day. Every day brings a new challenge, but not every day is the same. Sometimes not even similar.

So here's my brief (letter) to Lawrence.

Beste Lawrence,
(Dear Lawrence)

Het is mijn inzicht u wilt weten wat ik doe elke dag.
(It is my understanding you'd like to know what I do every day)

Misschien vindt u dit moeilijk te geloven, maar dit is mijn typische dag.
(You may find this difficult to believe, but this is my typical day)

Ik sta op.
(I get up)

Ik drink koffie.
(I drink coffee)

Ik blog.
(I blog)

Ik loop de hond.
(I walk the dog)

Ik ga naar de winkel om brood te kopen.
(I go to the store to buy bread)

We eten het brood kocht ik.
(We eat the bread I bought)

We gaan slapen.
(We go to sleep)

Lawrence, die in België wonen is erg ontspannend voor mij.
(Lawrence, living in Belgium is very relaxing for me)

En een uitdaging.
(And a challenge)

Met vriendelijke groet,
(Sincerely)
Karen


I told Jim that our teacher will wonder how I manage to fill up each day. If she only knew the situations not mentioned in my brief to Lawrence that keep me spry!

I laughed and laughed when I told him (Jim, not Lawrence) that I left out the part about taking a nap.

3 comments:

  1. Uproarious - the adventures of buying bread and ... EATING it! The nap omission is great fodder for your unauthorized biography. "Lawrence" is lucky to have you as a pen pal. How do you say minutia in Flemish?

    This note is hilarious, as was your second comment on my blog. To confirm, we are poor beyond belief, but so rich in spirit! And most certainly free of regret!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds HEAVENLY...especially after this week watching students take LEAP tests ALL day....yes, I did the extended time in the afternoons, too. I gained two lbs.

    ReplyDelete