23 April 2010

Ivaylo


. . . is a young man from Bulgaria. He turned twenty-one in March. Just like Ross. He's in our Flemish class. I wouldn't say he's passionate about learning Flemish, but he attends class most of the time.

He's nice looking and very quick to learn. He told us he's been in Belgium for one year and in that time has learned to speak English - from other people, not school. He is very proud of his English and he should be. It's nearly perfect.

I told him I don't even know where Bulgaria is and he said it's between Turkey and Greece. He also said it was not such a good place to live. He didn't elaborate so I don't know exactly why he thinks this, but he does and that's all that matters.

I asked him if his parents were still in Bulgaria. His answer was "I think my mother may still be there. I'm not sure." He didn't mention a father. And I didn't ask.

He said he has a girlfriend in Antwerp and he paints and hangs sheetrock to earn a living. He said he thinks people in Hasselt judge others by the clothes they wear and the car they drive. I have to say, as I have before, that people here do dress nice. I don't know about the judgmental part, but if that's how he feels then that's how he feels.

He has no TV, no computer, no car, and no bike. He does have a cell phone. He's even got a pretty good attitude. He makes me think he would like nothing better than to go to the United States which is why I think he enjoys talking to us. He asked us if it's true that all Americans believe in God. We answered that for the most part, yes. He seemed surprised, but also pleased.

I asked if he thought he'd ever go to America and his answer surprised and enlightened me. He said as a Bulgarian he's not allowed to go to the U.S. Really? I can find no evidence on the internet that he or any other Bulgarian is excluded from entering the States, but it is interesting that he thinks it's off-limits for him.

I asked him why he can't go to the U.S. He believes it's because - and these are his words - that Bulgarians have been known to steal identities over the internet, therefore not welcome in the U.S. Again, I don't know if this is true. And could probably be said for many nationalities - including Americans!

What I do know is that he's smart and seems like a nice guy. I hope Ivaylo has the same chance at making his dreams come true as my Ross does. Doesn't everyone deserve that?

4 comments:

  1. Aww...poor Ivaylo. I'm pretty sure he can come here. But maybe he'd rather go to Canada. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Surely he could come here. I thought everyone could come here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an interesting story.
    Ivaylo sounds cool. Randi-good point.
    I will pitch in on a "Sponsor Ivaylo" effort anyday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a lot of questions for Ivaylo. Just read an article by a Christian Bulgarian who came to the USA to attend a seminary. He contends Christianity is still closely watched by the govt. even though Communism fell in the 90's. Old habits die hard. Friends who have lived in Turkey speak of dangers of being open with your faith in that part of the world. Americans can't imagine.

    ReplyDelete