28 April 2010

Ana-Maria


. . . is a young mother originally from Romania. She has three young children and is in our Flemish class. She attends class pretty regularly and is learning quickly. She also speaks Romanian, Spanish, and English - that I know of.

She's married and has lived in Belgium for less than one year. Her children are young and the baby less than a year old. Before moving to Belgium they lived in Spain for eight years, but had to move when her husband's work ended. We asked what her husband does and she said he picks fruit. She went on to say he works from 5 am to 8 pm - 7 days a week. She said with regret that he was not off work even on Christmas Day.

She is very open and volunteered that her husband earns 1000 Euro each month. They are able to live on the farm where he picks fruit so they don't have to pay rent. They do have to pay for utilities so she said they try not to use much heat since it is expensive. They also receive public assistance of 400 Euro per month for the children. I'm not certain of the integration rules, but I believe this may be one of the reasons she is in the Flemish class.

She is cheerful, friendly, and always looks her best. I don't know if Belgium will be their home for the next eight years or for only the next year. She indicated they will not return to Romania. I do not know why, but I think despite the end of communism over 20 years ago, things are still not so good there.

I don't know all the challenges Ana-Maria has faced and can't imagine a life as she has already lived. I do know if she is the only Romanian I ever meet, I will describe them as very friendly, sincere, and cheerful. I hope that wherever she and her little family go next to pick fruit, she is as hopeful as she is right now.

1 comment:

  1. I met similar people with similar stories when I visited Cuba. Many of them worked very, very hard for very little. Even a doctor I met was living in tiny dwelling with broken plumbing and little pay and yet he and his family were hopeful things would soon change for the better. (It was almost impossible to get any soap and I couldn't imagine how everything was so clean!) Yet many of them were the same folks who were at church each and every night singing their hearts out and thanking God for all their blessings. I was very honored to meet them and I carry them in my heart always. I know you will never forget Ana-Maria either.

    ReplyDelete