03 April 2010

Getting blood from a turnip


Me being the turnip in this case. I think it was last year, our insurance company began requiring an annual cholesterol and blood pressure screening. And it had to be done by the end of March. Naturally we waited until March 30 to seek an appointment, but fortunately our new dokter friend was able to see us at the last minute - March 31.

His office is just around the corner and we were to be there at 8 a.m. We arrive and the front door is ajar. We ring the bell and peek in. There's a tiny foyer big enough for me and Jim to stand in and then another set of really old French doors, another tiny foyer, then another set of modern glass doors. We can see the stairs that go up to his house because this is not only his office, it's his house too!

He comes to the door and invites us in sorta like we're there for dinner. We enter his small office and have a seat. He asks for the basic identification information so he can input it into the computer. He then proceeds to examine Jim, takes blood, weighs him and records everything. Then he does the same for me. I tell him my story about last year's blood draw where the nurse tried to get blood out of both arms, told me to go home, drink a gallon of water and return the next day. Which I did and she finally got it. I then told him my story about how when our first baby was born, the nurse tried to start an I.V. in one arm, then the other, then one wrist, then the top of my hand, then finally got it in the other wrist. I've always said that was the hardest part about having a baby - the I.V.!

He laughed and said that wouldn't be necessary and that he'd just use a knife if necessary. Followed by all the other places he could draw blood that would be assured of producing enough to fill that little vial - carotid, etc. I laughed thinking he was kidding. He was. He looked at one arm, didn't stick it and immediately moved to the other where he was successful. A real pro. Plus I'd drank a beer the night before in lieu of water so not sure what that means. Just sayin'.

You may have noticed I haven't mentioned a receptionist, a secretary, or a nurse. Yep, that's right. Just like the veterinarian - he's a one-man-show. We were there about an hour and he charged less than Frere' Jacques does to cut and blow-dry my hair. A lot less :~/

1 comment:

  1. I have the same exact problem. Just love all the loveley shades of yellow, green, and blue colors my hands/arms were after having "the kid". What is the deal?!

    ReplyDelete