20 April 2010

Fietsen


Now that we both have a bike, Jim has begun to enjoy this new mode of transport. As a matter of fact, he's already ridden his to work - four times! It takes an hour each way so talk about working off that bier and brood.

I'm afraid I can't say the same for myself. Of course, I'm not riding it to work for obvious reasons, but my new used fiets has left the beer frig/foyer only briefly. Every day I think "this is the day I'll brave the open road again" and every evening my bike is right where it always is - right in the way of getting inside our house.

You know how when you're in your car with your seatbelt on, you feel all secure? Like yeah, you could have an accident, but you've got all this metal, an airbag, even the windshield to offer some barrier between you and certain death?

Well, for me, being on the bike, in traffic is akin to being on the hood of the car flailing about with the wind in your face. Like holding onto a windshield wiper and hoping it doesn't break off in your hand when your round that next curve. You know what I mean? No seatbelt, no airbag, no windshield.

How do these people do it? I'm talking about these elderly people? More elderly than me! I saw a "mature" nun the other day, wearing a tunic and a modified habit darting in and out of traffic.

She's making me look bad.

1 comment:

  1. Erik told me just the other day that Over here it is always the driver fault. I was like always < he said always makes me feel a little safer. I just recently got on a bike after 30 years not on a bike. Phobia too, but it is all to nice to go on a long bike ride have a picnic, get some icecream and enjoy nature.

    ReplyDelete