27 November 2009

Not exactly what I had in mind


I have never cooked Thanksgiving Dinner.

We were always lucky enough to have Nana and Mae Mae to do that for us. So being here and . . . well, I decided to challenge myself to see if I could whip up some dressing, a turkey, candied yams, green bean casserole, and maybe even a pumpkin pie.

I envisioned it looking something like this, but . . .


See full size image

See full size image







after 2 grocery stores, the bakery and the deli, I was forced to seriously rethink that challenge.


Even with my limited language skills (AND toting my Engels/Nederlands translation book) if these items were in the store, I could NOT find them:

cornbread
corn meal
cornbread mix

candied yams
canned sweet potatoes
whole sweet potatoes

a turkey breast
a whole turkey

a pumpkin pie
pumpkin in a can
a whole pumpkin

and mushroom soup is meant for eating - like soup!

However, I did find this roasted turkey lunchmeat and this pumpkin soup.


And this is the closest thing to that list I could find. And nee, I'm niet kidding :~/

1 comment:

  1. Ohhh yum, the fruit of the Halloween. (that is what the waiter in Mexico City called the soup when he was trying to splain it to Jim).

    Yes, you have been blessed all these thanksgivings. My dinner was probaly the worst one I have ever done....everything was dry...cooked too long, thankfully good gravy covers a multitude of sins.

    ReplyDelete