10 November 2009

Lookin' good and smellin' good


Kleding is Flemish for clothing (I stand corrected). As I mentioned from Day One on arrival here, kleding is a big deal. These are window dressings (since it's a little awkward taking photos of actual people), but I'm telling you, this is how everybody dresses here. Young and old. And while I've not been able to pull any of this off, the main characteristic seems to be layers and layers. Even when the weather was warmer, people wore layers of lightweight clothing.

Skirts over leggings with boots, skinny leg jeans with a flouncy shirt, a multitude of jackets, and almost always a scarf. I have not seen anyone in a warmup suit. I have not seen anyone in tennis shoes unless they were running or they were the kind meant for just walking around in.

And for "smellin' good". Several stores in town sell only parfum and apparently they are doing a heckuva business because most everyone I pass closely on the sidewalk smells so good! I've found myself spraying an extra dose on myself so maybe someone will pass me and think I smell good too :)


Maybe just publishing this post will inspire me to put away my warmup.

3 comments:

  1. Sorry for being a nitpicker :-) but 'Kleding' just means 'Clothing'. 'Mode' is the Flemish word for 'Fashion'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sweatpants would not fit in:).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you confessed! I've been known to lurk around The Ross Chronicles (read: I've consumed everything he's ever written there), and I've adored Randi since our communication/her fainting days back at Tech - and now keep up with her through her blog(s) <-- awaiting the return of The Art of Happiness . So I'm delighted to find that you, too, have a blog - especially one that's so fun to read!

    ReplyDelete