13 November 2009

Circus Mary

As I returned from the wassalon the day before yesterday, I stopped by the bakery for a loaf of bread. A little basket of broken cookies and some colorful somethings (?) were on the counter beside the cash register. I assume these were for customers to taste, but I chose not to partake. Who knows where all those other little hands have been?

Anyway, as I was walking back to the apartment, I began to ponder what those colorful somethings were in that basket on the counter. Could it be?

Remember those candy-like snacks called Circus Peanuts - pastel orange, soft yet firm, shaped like a 2 inch peanut? They were a staple around my house growing up - serving as a vegetable, I think.

Well, I returned to the bakery yesterday and you're not going to believe this. Those colorful somethings in that basket were . . .

lo and behold, Circus Marys.

Yep, pastel, soft yet firm, shaped like a 2 inch Virgin Mary.

Sorta makes you wanta break out into Ave Maria doesn't it?

Well of course, I brought some home.

2 comments:

  1. I just laughed so hard about this I teared up! That's hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are too funny!!! I doubt I could eat the marys any better than the peanuts...a bad experience that goes way back to first or second grade is responsible....like jf's mayo phobia.

    ReplyDelete