09 November 2009

Asking for directions

Not sure what makes Jim and me (and sometimes just me) look like we know how to get from here to there, but we are amazed at how many people have stopped us on the street and asked for directions. Do we look like natives? I mean, even without the dog on a leash, we do not look like Belgians! If for no other reason, my wardrobe :)

Anyway, they prattle on about where they're trying to get to and when they take a breath we say "Sorry, we only speak English". Like it's a disease. Older people say "Ahhhh" in a sad sorta way and move on, but younger and middle aged people just begin speaking in perfect English. And say, "Oh, you're not from here?". To which we answer, "Yes, we live here, we just don't speak Flemish (yet)".

We've been here long enough to actually help a few (get lost).

Just kidding.


1 comment:

  1. So now I am curious...what do they wear? I need some fotos.

    ReplyDelete