10 August 2010

Thinking out of the . . .


well, I hate to use this overused cliche', but okay. Box.

I rarely think outside the box. And there's a lot of other people out there just like me!

I've never had my personality analyzed, but I know where I fall on the MBTI. I would probably be described as a "worker bee", don't need direction, don't need anybody looking over my shoulder. If I have responsibility for something, you can be assured it will get done. On time. As perfect as I can do it. And without any assistance . . .

Everything is pretty much black and white for me. I love order and planning and list-making. And herein lies the problem. Order and planning and list-making are IN the box. Therefore, my common sense is not always at its peak.

I remember Jim telling this story a long time ago, about a safety discussion at work. Apparently the topic was safety not only in the workplace, but also at home. The issue was water and electricity. You know how after you wash your car, the concrete is wet? Then you proceed to clean the inside of the car, vacuum, wipe the windows, etc. Well, the vacuum is electric and there you are, probably standing on wet concrete. What to do?

Well, after a few ideas were tossed around, one guy said "You could clean the inside first." OMG! This guy is a genius!

Yeah, it may seem obvious now, but only because you've already heard it. I would be trying to figure out all the ways to reduce the amount of water. Move the car into the garage. Probably never think of reversing the order of things. I've always washed the outside then cleaned the inside. And I'd be willing to bet you do too. That's just the way it's done!

I have this large plant upstairs in our bedroom and as with all plants, it occasionally needs to be watered. I don't have a watering can so I bring the mop bucket upstairs, fill it in the bathtub, and use a measuring cup to scoop water into this plant. It worked. I spilled almost no water. But I was still in search of a watering can.

Every time I would see one in a store it was too big or too small or too expensive so I continued with my bucket and measuring cup routine. Until one day I mentioned it to Jim. He immediately said "You could save one of those plastic drink bottles and use that."

OMG! It really just made me mad I hadn't thought of it myself.

However, therein lies the problem. I never would have. :~|

I suspect I'll continue to stay in my box, keeping things orderly, but for the most part, that works quite well for me :)
















2 comments:

  1. I'm inside the box too! Good thing you married Mr. Frazier!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Jim will do the same thing to me.....he will say, "why don't you just.....". I wish I could think of one good example. Anyway, it always bugs me because it is such a "duh moment".

    ReplyDelete