13 August 2010

Japanese Tuin



There are very few tourist attractions in Hasselt, but one of them is a Japanese Garden. It's usually only open during the day, but one night this week it was open in the evening.

It's the largest of its kind in Europe and is based on 17th century Japanese tea gardens.



There were koi as big as catfish and I know why. You can purchase food for them at the gate and I think we may be the only people who didn't buy any.

Despite translating the guide, I still don't know what this is.
Appears to be a really small shrine?


The garden also has 250 Japanese cherry trees so I hope to go back in the Spring to see them in bloom.

1 comment:

  1. So beautiful!! It always strikes me how much the vegetation there is like home! Hostas are HUGE in PA, NY, and NJ. Those look like the one at the base of my sister's mailbox. I wonder if Belgium smells like PA, too.

    ReplyDelete