12 August 2010

Incidentally


Mosselen (aka mussels) are very popular here this time of year. Every restaurant advertises that the "mosselen have arrived". I tried them last year when the season rolled around, but the texture is a bit like oysters and well, that's that. Jim, however, likes them and he decided to try his hand at cooking them at home. They come in a package of about 50 or 60 count. He was pleased with the results and ate all but 3 so they must have been good.


You've heard of the black sheep. Here it is.


We had dinner with our neighbors recently and this was the appetizer.
Yeah, that's escargot and we all ate it. They kinda remind me of crawfish.
I can say it was pretty good, but I can't say I want to eat it again.



We had dinner in Brussels a few weeks ago and this was the "special".
A bargain at only € 18.50 (and BTW, that's ~$24).
It is just a cheeseburger.


This was on a windowsill outside a store in Rothenburg, Germany.
Danke.


I like everything pretty simple.
This pillow pattern is a stretch for me, but at least it's still black and white.


My bath towels are white.


I always buy paper napkins and paper towels in white.
Solid white.
No stupid pictures of grapes or chili peppers.


So you can imagine my dismay when I got home with this.


And I couldn't just buy the 6 roll pack.


No, I had to buy the econo pack.
But you can see how it was cleverly disguised in this blue packaging.
No one buys toilet paper with blue puppies by choice.






When Frazier was visiting, he noticed this open space in the park being plowed up.
All I could think was that it would soon become a parking lot.
You know, "they paved paradise and put up a parking lot".



So a few weeks later, I noticed this.
Glad to see it wasn't a parking lot, but thought it an odd place to grow crops.


And a few weeks later, they were really tall.


Turns out it was this.

:)

3 comments:

  1. I had escargot once....I was 19 and yearning for something new...anyway, it was very expensive...like $20 in 1974!...and had the consistancy of rubber tires. I figured the chefs in Bradford, PA had no clue how to cook them. I bet I would love them done right.

    Blue puppies....bahhhaaaa! For real, who would buy that on purpose?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh I really laughed about the blue puppies. Still laughing actuallly. That's hilarious! I want one of those escargot dishes. Seriously. I can't believe that field turned out to be sunflowers! That's just wonderful- I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the black sheep picture. I've never seen one!

    ReplyDelete