25 August 2010

Antique Market


You may remember a recent post on the city of Tongeren. Well, it's not only the oldest city in Belgium, it's also famous for its antique market on Sundays. So, we went back on a Sunday.


This is looking down from that ancient wall I mentioned in my last post on Tongeren.


This is me taking a picture as close to the edge as I thought was safe. This is the definition of personal responsibility. Notice there's no fence, no guardrail, no danger sign . . . you're on your own and frankly, it was pretty obvious to me that if I walked any closer, I just might fall to my death. I guess I really didn't need a danger sign or guardrail.


They even use the parking garages for display booths.
Really nice when it rains.
And it rains. A lot.

So, I didn't purchase anything even though I needed that stuffed boar's head. I still enjoyed looking around and I'd like to go back for more reasons than one. This bakery has the best speculoos cookies I've ever eaten :)


According to the internet, Tongeren has the 2nd largest antique market in Europe. So, I searched for the largest antique market in Europe and it appears to be in Lille, France. That's only 2 hours from here and as luck would have it, it's the first weekend of September.

That happens to be the same weekend as the Brussels Beer Weekend so we may have to forego a day of beer in favor of the antique market in Lille. Maybe.

2 comments:

  1. Wish I could join you at the antique markets as they are my weakness. Hope you can make it to the larger one and find some treasures. Look forward to hearing about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like a fun place to browse and people watch!

    ReplyDelete