15 August 2010

Do it Yourself


On one our Sunday drives, we saw a sign for a castle and drove down a few country roads to find it.


Rood Kasteel
(Red Castle)


It had a nice courtyard with restaurant so we stayed for a drink.


Beside the castle was what appeared to be a barn or storage of some sort.


There were gates, and corbels, and doors and windows, and stones, and . . .


All I could think was it had all the makings of a castle that you could build yourself.


Jim even said "kinda makes me wish we were a little younger".


We are do-it-yourselfers, but a castle may be a bit lofty, even for us.
We swore that picket fence in Jefferson was our last "project".


I was amazed and just couldn't stop taking pictures.


We asked our waiter (back at the castle courtyard) if someone was going to live there and he said yes.


Can you imagine?!


The beginnings of a modern kitchen.


Maybe the biggest vase I've ever seen.


As I mentioned, this castle was out in the middle of nowhere and as we drove along we saw corn, wheat, apples, and this (pictured above).


Turns out it was this!
I had never seen carrots growing in the field.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that vase is huge!!

    Was this built from scratch, or was there some remains already there and it just gutted and being redone. Something tells me these people have plenty of help and are not do-it-yourselfers.

    ReplyDelete