04 August 2010

A Nice Day in Leuven


We spent last Saturday in Leuven. We visited Ross at his new apartment, hung out, took a nap, and walked around town. Ate lunch at the Domus Restaurant and Brewery. Hoped to tour the beer-making process, but we were not a group of 10 so . . . no tour.


It's only been around since 1985 and by Belgian beer standards, that's a blink of an eye.


It's really quaint and looked like a pub/restaurant should look.


And they have pretty good beer too. Even by Belgian standards!

The more I'm in Leuven, the more I like it. Kinda like Hasselt. I think that's why I wanted to live here as opposed to any of the other towns nearby. We stayed here on our very first visit and got familiar with it.

Anyway, we got a good feel for Ross's new surroundings and to make it even better, we found what is now my favorite Mexican restaurant in Belgium. El Sombrero. I know that's not saying much. Belgium isn't known for its Mexican cuisine. Go figure. But I LOVE Mexican food and I REALLY miss it. I have to say it was pretty warm as they had no windows and no AC - on another slightly sultry day, but the food was really good and the place was packed.


And the margaritas were so good I had two.


As we were walking back to the apartment, we could hear bells coming from the library. On Saturday nights in the summer, there is a concert of these bells. Chairs are placed in the square and it's just a free concert. We stayed and listened for a while. You will see on the video that there's a screen to watch the person playing the bells. She looks really young.


Ross's apartment is only one block from the library so we could continue to hear the bells even after we left. And although it's not a concert, he gets to hear them every quarter hour of every day too :)

Cheers! Gezondheid! Proost! Sante'! I'm looking forward to visiting again soon!


1 comment:

  1. I saw some of pictures of Ross' apartment on Facebook and it looks great!

    ReplyDelete