19 January 2010

Martha


Our neighbors have never heard of Martha Stewart.

Yep. Never heard of her.

We invited them over for a glass of champagne to celebrate the new year. I researched on the internet what to serve with champagne and amazingly, just about anything goes - with the exception of really sweet desserts and red meat. Turns out they brought their own food.

Foie gras. I had some. It was good. But not sure it's going to make my top ten favorite foods list. : /

When we were in France, foie gras was on every menu. Foie gras pizza, foie gras and fries, chocolate mousse with foie gras.

Okay, but it was on every menu.

So, anyway, one of their sons (back to the neighbors) was opening the bottle of champagne and I began telling the story about the time I saw Martha open a bottle of champagne.

They get this puzzled look (?)

Did I mention they've never heard of Martha Stewart? That's right. Never heard of her.

So I say, "you know, the woman who is a cook/decorator/crafter/gardener/entrepreneur extraordinaire?"

They say, "like Jamie Oliver?" I say, "uhhhh, yeah, like Jamie Oliver." And we move on.

So, anyway, I continue with my story ----- yeeeeears ago on her TV show, Martha opened a bottle of champagne. Perhaps it was even a demonstration on how to open a bottle of champagne. I don't remember. Well, the champagne immediately began spewing and bubbling out of the bottle!

This happening to Martha AND on TV!

Well, in true Marthanese, she rushes over to the sink, with bubbling bottle in hand, grabs a couple of champagne glasses, and fills them up . . . with what would have gone all over the floor! I mean, the rest of us would have panicked and watched our expensive liquid soak into the carpet. Not Martha. It was a classic and I think of it every time I see someone pop a champagne cork.

Hmmm, I wonder what Jamie Oliver would have done?


1 comment:

  1. I've seen that segment a couple of times. I think one of my goals in life is to be that collected and graceful if ever a champagne bottle should erupt.

    ReplyDelete