29 January 2010

Flenglish


I believe this word has multiple meanings, but for us it means throwing in one of our new Flemish words when it fits into our English sentence.

Flenglish.

It's doubtful we'll ever be fluent in Flemish. Correction. We will never be fluent in Flemish, but we like to keep trying just the same.

I feel kinda silly saying some of these new Flemish words - they have almost an animated feel about them.

For example . . .

Sun, rain, thunderstorm, and sleet . . . clouds, snow, hail, and lightning sound like reindeer in Flemish. You know, like in 'Twas the Night Before Christmas.

Now zon, now regen, now onweer, en ijzel . . . on wolken on sneeuw, on hagel, en bliksem. Naar de top van de veranda . . .

See what I mean?

Or maybe something out of Dr. Seuss . . .

Sleutels are keys. "Do you have the car sleutels?"

Winkel is store. "I'm headed to the winkel. Need any food?"

Kokosnoot is coconut. "Hey, let's make pina coladas. Get some kokosnoot."

Schoenen is shoes. "Have you seen my unfashionable schoenen?"

Spijkerbroek is jeans. "No, but your spijkerbroeks are really tight. I mean blue."

Broodrooster is toaster. "Want some brood from the winkel? Yeah, I'll toost it in the broodrooster."

Kadootjes is gifts. "Let's open the kadootjes! Okay! What kadootjes?"

Slaapkamer is bedroom. "Okay, time for bed. I'm headed to the slaapkamer.

Goedenacht!"

ding een en ding twee

I'm just sayin' . . .

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha! Oh wow- that's really great. Probably my favorite post so far!!

    ReplyDelete