18 October 2009

A hondje in België

Finally. He's here.



The details . . .
Jim's trip from Jefferson to Shreveport to Atlanta to Brussels to Hasselt is finally over. Thankfully without incident - or much.

About 45 minutes from takeoff from Atlanta, I hadn't heard from him so...
I text "Everything okay?"
He texts "Probably, I'll let you know in a minute."

Naturally, my mind starts conjuring up all the things that could have possibly gone wrong. Turns out it was the weather in Brussels! The Delta rep checked weather.com and it had Brussels temperature at 41 degrees F and they weren't going to let Winslow fly! Not because the temperature was too HOT as we were so worried about before, but because it was too COLD! Must be 45 F or above.

Anyway, several Delta reps assisted in the decision-making and finally one said she had 2 minutes to make a decision. At that point, the supervisor said "go ahead and let him go". Whew! So Jim sprints to Concourse E which, at the Atlanta airport, is as far away from Delta check-in as you can get and still be in the airport.
now
As he is sprinting to the gate, the guy with Winslow's crate yells at him across the way - keep in mind this is at the ATLANTA airport and this guy spotting Jim is a miracle in itself - he tells Jim he's got to take Winslow through security first. Soooooo, he does that and just gets to the gate.

Now this whole time, I don't know where either of them are or even what "Probably, I'll let you know in a minute." means.
5:15 pm He texts
"I'm on the plane, but have no confirmation that Winslow is, but has no reason to think he's not."
I text
"Could one of the attendants check?!"
He texts
"I will ask."
THAT IS THE LAST TEXT I GOT AT MIDNIGHT! I check the Delta website and they are in flight. Naturally, I'm thinking Winslow is still in Security in Atlanta and Jim's on his way to Brussels. Long, sleepless night for all us.

7:45 am He texts
"Made it to Brussels. Thousands of people going through passport check."
8:50 (an hour later!) He texts
"Luggage lost".

THAT'S IT! Luggage - meaning your luggage or Winslow luggage or both?!! I still don't know if Winslow is in Atlanta.
8:51 I text
"And Winslow?"
8:53 He texts
"He's here and fine. Needs to get out." Been in the crate what now, 12 hours?

10:15 They arrive here! No luggage, but both here.

Did I mention thanks to Jim really isn't enough?

2 comments:

  1. WOW! Too cold, too hot....looks like you went at just the right time! 12 hours! 12 hours in that crate! I don't think our high maintence...has to go out every two hours Sophie could have done so well. We would have had to had her "knocked out"! He is amazing. I bet Winslow won't want in his crate for a while. So glad it all went well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad they made it! Has the luggage made it yet?

    ReplyDelete