30 September 2009

The Mangel Draaien


This huge contraption is at the wassalon and so far I've personally witnessed 3 different people ironing their sheets. Yes, the sole purpose of this huge machine is to iron sheets.

The sign above it says


Translated says
No jeans or garments with buttons or zippers in the mangle turning

Believe it or not, the mangle press has been around for a long time and was popular for ironing sheets in the 40's and 50's. You can even buy vintage mangle irons on ebay! I had never heard the term mangle iron before. Although I've been tempted after seeing the results of ironed sheets, I haven't seriously considered using this thing.






3 comments:

  1. I want one! It's takes me forever to iron my sheets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so bizarre your posting of this because someone at my lunch table was talking about these big machines that ironed sheets back in the old days. Could it be one of these? Wonder what they called them in the states?

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1) Amanda - why on earth do you iron your sheets?! hahaha

    2) I remember that sweet old lady who lost her detergent container under the machine was DETERMINED to get it back! haha. :)

    So you haven't ironed your sheets yet?

    ReplyDelete