04 September 2009

OTC meds

I have a cold and not wanting to spoil the last couple of days of Ross's visit, I was seeking something to relieve my runny nose, coughing, etc. Naturally the first place I thought to look was Carrefour (Belgium's Walmart). Well, you won't find it there. As a matter of fact you won't find it anywhere but an apotheek (pharmacy).

That's right.

The selling of medicine of any kind is strictly regulated whether it's over-the-counter or prescription. An apotheek is the only place you can buy most medicine and health care products, including vitamins, contact lens solutions, cold remedies, and even aspirin. These pharmacies are everywhere, but are generally open during regular business hours only. Here's a picture of an apotheek.


Fortunately we found one and I described my symptoms to the pharmacist and 13 Euro later I had tablets and lozenges. I feel better already!


2 comments:

  1. Sorry you aren't feeling well, but glad you are feeling better. We are dodging "swine flu" here in the states. I know a few people that have had it and they are in PA. I guess it really didn't last long and wasn't all that bad....a lot of coughing.

    Hey, just thinking...you might even begin to miss Walmart. ;-)

    ReplyDelete