08 September 2009

Resolving issues from afar...and on Labor Day Weekend

For the last 2 nights I've chatted online with at&t in an effort to resolve an internet connection problem at the Jefferson house. Naturally it can't be as easy as a free online chat, right? The first night was spent with the rep trying to figure out what the problem is and then supposedly putting in an order to fix it. Problem solved.

Not so fast. It now appears it may be a faulty modem so Ross attempts to exchange the modem and they ask for the receipt. Receipt? Uh, the guy who installed the internet connection brought the modem with him. I can't believe I didn't ask him for a receipt.

So in order for Ross to make this exchange (assuming at&t can establish a connection between us, the installer, and our modem), he needs to be an authorized user on my account. Okay, this makes sense so I start another free online chat with "Abigail" to take care of this. Abigail wants very much to resolve all my issues because she said so in her very first statement, but as you might guess...


Welcome Mrs. Karen Frazier.


Abigail has joined this session!


Abigail

Hi Mrs. Frazier


You

Hello


Abigail

Thank you for contacting AT&T Internet Services. How may I help you?


You

I need assistance adding my son as an authorized user on my att internet account


Abigail

We value you as our customer and I would like to assure you that I will try my best to resolve your issue.


You

ok thank you


Abigail

I will do my best to resolve this issue for you. Let me repeat what your said, you want to create he sub account for your son. Am I correct?


You

Well, here's the problem. I am out of town and he is trying to resolve a repair issue with our internet connection. I spoke to a rep yesterday and there is a problem with the lines. My son is unable to do anything about exchanging the modem and having the repairs if he is not an authorized person on the account


Abigail

Okay. Thank you.


Abigail

Please let me know the DSL telephone number.


You

065-**9-****


Abigail

Mrs. Frazier , if you want I can escalate the issue to the line Department.


You

Well, I think that was supposed to already be taken care of. I chatted with someone here yesterday and they did a line test and determined it was the line then said they would run more tests and I gave them my son's phone number to call about it. Do you know the status of this repair?


Abigail

Okay. May I ask you the security question for the verification?


You

I don't know a security question. He gave me a reference number of wtxy****5621


Abigail

Who is your favorite singer?


You

Oh you mean on my account? I answered the question about favorite author and said ________


You

I also answered some question with _______. I can't remember the question


Abigail

I am sorry that is the incorrect answer.


Abigail

The question is who is your favorite singer?


You

I have no idea what you are talking about. I didn't answer the favorite singer question, I answered the others I just mentioned. I recorded the answers for this very reason.


Abigail

Mrs. Frazier , this is the question associated with your account.


You

I understand what you are saying, but there were several questions to choose from and I didn't choose "favorite singer"


Abigail

Mrs. Frazier, I understand your concern however If you want I can create a trouble ticket for your connection.


You

Here's what I need. One, I need for my son to be authorized to exchange or return the modem that is apparently not working and to allow any repairs to be made to the lines coming into our house. Two, I need to know if there is a repair already in process for our account!


You

Please, I am in Belgium and I cannot do anything more from here.


Abigail

Mrs. Frazier, I understand your concern however in this regard I would request you to call us on our voice department at 1-877-722-3755 and ask for the Orders Department.


Abigail

They are available in business hours 0700-1900 hours (Monday-Friday).


You

This is not helping me


Abigail

I understand however the Orders Department is the concerned department.


You

For what?


Abigail

Mrs. Frazier , they will help you with 1. exchange of the modem, 2. As you are unable to provide me the correct answer, they will help you with your repair status.


You

Unbelievable! I know for a fact the answers I provided are correct as I do not have a favorite singer so therefore I couldn't have possibly answered that question. This has not been helpful and I am very frustrated


You

And by the way, we have more than one att account. My son is the one who may or may not have answered the questions on our OTHER account, but on THIS account that I am referring to, I answered the questions!


Abigail

Mrs. Frazier, I can understand why you feel frustrated. I would feel the same way if I were in your situation however without verifying the security question I won't be able to provide your information regarding the account details.


You

Are you looking at the right account? I have a wireless phone account in Louisiana and a completely separate internet account in Texas. I am only talking about the Texas internet account.


Abigail

I would request you to call us on our Voice Department at 1-87-722-3755 and ask for the ASI (Line Department).


You

And what are they going to do?


Abigail

Yes, I am on the same account and this is the only security question I can see in your account.


You

Okay, I have no idea what to do because I assume at this point, even I can't do anything about it since apparently the security answer is one I can NEVER provide.


You

Is there no other possible way I can prove this is my account?!!!!!


Abigail

Please don't worry.


Abigail

Mrs. Frazier, if you want I can create an other ticket.


You

What do you mean?


Abigail

I will escalate the case to the Line Department.


You

I think that's what you said about 15 minutes ago so go ahead. I will say this has been one waste of both our time


Abigail

Mrs. Frazier, as a technical support agent I can only help you with this. For further resolution I would request you to contact the concerned department.


You

Whatever


Abigail

Is there anything else that I may assist you with today?


You

Yes, you can transfer me to the correct "concerned department" please


Abigail

I am sorry Mrs. Frazier ,there is no chat support for the departments. I would request you to call the department.


You

Well, again I am in Belgium and it is 10:30 pm here. I look forward to starting this whole thing over again tomorrow with someone else at whatever the phone rates are.


Abigail

Thank you.

Your session has ended.


Well, there you have it. One hour wasted and nothing resolved from afar. By the way, I logged onto my account after this chat session and Dr. Seuss and Canada are the correct answers for the security questions on my account. I guess I will never be able to convince Abigail of this.







2 comments:

  1. I don't know how, but this posted over your other posts. It's weird. Maybe it's just my computer? Anyway- couldn't read all of the chat. What a fiasco! Ross was ready to strangle somebody here, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh good! It's all fixed. Was finally able to read it all! Pretty ridiculous. And it still isn't resolved, am I right?

    ReplyDelete