08 September 2009

Reality check and no fashionista

I've spent my first 2 days by myself and although the weather has been great, I sure wish Ross was still here. Somehow going to the wassalon and taking the bus was a lot more fun when he was here :) I know once I establish a routine for myself it will get better. I'm definitely not homesick - I just wish everyone were over here with me! Or is that homesick?


In my very first post on this blog, I listed some of the observations I'd made during our first trip to Belgium. I've definitely made more and here are a few:


1. jeans fit like a glove

I mean my jeans are tight, but not for all the right reasons


2. suntanning very popular

I'm afraid I may soon find out why people are sunlovers - December promises to bring a sunrise at 8:30 and sunset at 16:30 (no need to do the math - that's 4:30 pm) - a really short day.

When we were here in May it got light around 4:30 and got dark around 22:30 (again, no need to do the math - that's 10:30pm) - a very looooong day.


3. nice hair salons almost outnumber cars

I'm sure I will eventually plunk down plenty Euro for help with my troubled head


4. if you put your toe out at a crosswalk, even the city busses screech to a halt

This is a nice feature since I haven't fully grasped the rules of the road - bikers are still "belling" at me to get out of their lane


5. fashion is a priority and I don't mean just for the lovely people

I am definitely feeling - how should I say it? - "frumpy". I am no fashionista and it is becoming painfully evident the more I am out and about in clam diggers and tennis shoes.


6. "excuse me" and "hey" just aren't necessary

People on the sidewalk or in a store watch for you and move aside so no bumping into anyone, therefore no "oh sorry" or "excuse me" needed. Plus, people don't just smile and greet you randomly with "hey" if they don't know you. It's almost awkward, but I'm getting used to it.


7. you can stay at a restaurant for as long as you like

Once you sit down at a table you will never be coaxed into leaving by a waiter. Even if all you have is one drink - you can stay there all night! You even have to flag the waiter down for that 3rd beer or if you want the reckening (the check). Nice change.


8. shrubbery is serious business

Sculpting of shrubs is an art form here and some get quite creative with it. Everyone has either no yard at all or a very small one so every inch of it is sculpted and manicured.


9. no cocktails

There are hundreds of different kinds of beer, every kind of hard liquor, and most any kind of wine, but no cocktails. None. No mimosas, no margaritas, no mojitos. They don't seem to have even heard of a martini.


10. need to learn Flemish (the dialect of Dutch spoken here)

Okay, I know this is from my first list, but it's getting more and more obvious. I get to go with Jim to his tutoring session tomorrow so we should both be fluent in no time : /



4 comments:

  1. I love the observations. You should write a book- these are funny! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am loving this information! It is like another world:)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The closest thing to this I have experienced was Montreal...just felt sorta square peggish there. I love reading your observations; keep 'um comin'. Randi is right about writing a book. Miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mrs. Frazier!!!I've been looking for you, but I never thought to look toward Belgium! Mrs. Flournoy told me several months back you had moved to Jefferson. Thanks to Amanda's blog, I see you are a grandmother and globetrotter! I hope all is well. It will be nice to follow you on your blog. Wow! We had an excellent recruitment this year! Sure have missed you! Take care!

    ReplyDelete