17 September 2009

. . . and finally the police came.

Well, let me start at the beginning. We have been attempting to receive a residency visa since months before we left the U.S. I'm sure the process is simple compared to what I hear about getting a visa for the U.S., but nevertheless, it has been a challenge.

First comes the work permit.

The first order of business before we left the U.S. was for Jim to receive a work permit to work in Belgium. This required some paperwork, assistance from Norbord H.R., a couple of lawyers in Brussels and several months. He's got a permit.

Second comes the residency visa.

We both required:
- a notarized medical certificate stating we are in good health. This wasn't too difficult because thankfully, we are both in good health and the doctor has his own notary in the office.

- an FBI background check. This required going to the Shreveport Police Dept. and for only $20 each we got a set of fingerprints. These we mailed these to the FBI, along with forms, a SASE, and for another $18 each, we received (in about 3 weeks) a criminal history that simply said "No Arrest Record". It's always good to know someone with your name and fingerprints isn't also a criminal :)

Since I was "co-habitating" with the "work permitted" worker, I required:
- a "new" original of my birth certificate (with apostille). This also required a trip to Shreveport to the Office of Vital Records and for $15 (and about 3 hours) I got an original birth certificate.

- a "new" original of my marriage license (with apostille). This required a trip to Ruston to the Clerk of Court. After only about an hour and $7, I had an official copy of my marriage license. It wouldn't have taken an hour, but since we'd been married so long she had to go down to the basement since those records weren't readily accessible anymore!

- the "apostille" is basically an authentication of the documents mentioned above and recognized by most countries in accordance with the Convention de La Haye du 5 Octobre 1961. It basically means that the Secretary of the State (Louisiana's is Jay Dardenne) certifies that the signatures on those 2 documents are the real thing. And all this for a request letter, a SASE, a couple of weeks, and only $20 per document.

Sooooooo, now we think we have all our paperwork and according to the Belgian Embassy website, we will have to present all our paperwork with passports to the NY office in person. Turns out they are more accommodating than that and we have been led to believe we can just get the residency visa processed here in Hasselt. Really? That easy?

Here's where the politie come in (pronounced "poe leet' see" - I know there's no "s" or "c" in that word, but that's how you say it).

One is required to register with City Hall within 8 days of arrival into the country so about 3 weeks ago, that's what we did. We brought our big folder of all that paperwork I just mentioned and registered to apply for the residency visa.

The lady at City Hall, who thankfully spoke perfect English, filled out some forms, attached passport photos we brought with us, and gave us a copy of what we assume is our visa application. She said the police would come by our apartment within 2 weeks to check to be sure we really lived there, fill out a form, send it to City Hall, and we would get a card in the mail to come back to City Hall. That sounded easy enough.

Well, after 2 and a half weeks, no politie. So, I go to the politie dept. and find out I need to call the politie for our area of town on his cell phone and make an appointment. Soooooo, in case he didn't speak English, Jim asked a co-worker to call for us. He did and voila! the politie showed up the next day. . . or so I thought.

This guy came to the door and he spoke very poor English which can't compare to my even poorer Flemish. He said something like he was here to check our apartment. Naturally, I thought he was the politie. He explained in "poor" English that often foreigners (and he mentioned a couple of nationalities by name which I won't do - not American) come to Belgium and bring a "boatload" of family members with them. They apparently rent a very small residence and after receiving a visa demand that the government provide them with adequate housing for the "boatload" of family members. Not sure exactly what he meant, but I think it might equate to our immigration problems in the U.S. Welfare, healthcare, etc. for whoever makes it across the border?

Anyway, he looked around the apartment to make sure it was adequate for 2 people, filled out some paperwork and as he was leaving, the politie showed up! So, you can imagine my surprise since I thought this guy WAS the politie. Turns out the first guy was from the City Administration. So, the politie comes in and he says he doesn't need to look around and just asks me questions like "Is it just the 2 of you?" Yes. "Do you own this house?" No. He fills out paperwork and leaves.

I am checking the mailbox every day for that card we're supposed to be receiving to return to City Hall, but I'm not holding my breath since the last wait for the politie turned into me going and asking why they hadn't shown up yet. I guess in a couple of weeks, I'll return to City Hall and ask "where's that card we were supposed to get?"

I'll keep you posted.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! I am exhausting just reading this:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to comment the exact same thing, but Amanda beat me to it! So...ditto. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I visited Cuba I met a man who had been waiting for six months to see if he was going to be GRANTED a bicycle license. He had a refurbished bike, but didn't dare to ride it any place...so he walked...EVERYWHERE. We thought it was terrible and voiced our frustration for his circumstances, but he was so used to this waiting he just seemed sorta numb and resigned. Maybe he was just tired from all the walking! Hope you are not waiting for months.

    “Bureaucracy is the art of making the possible impossible”. Javier Pascual Salcedo

    ReplyDelete