10 February 2010

The scathing letter - slotstuk


So we're at the House of Dutch and as I was saying . . .

The House of Dutch lady pulls out this logic test for me and Jim to take. We have 20 minutes to answer 24 questions. Okay, how hard can this be, right? Although I'm often irrational, I can be logical if necessary.

The test consists of all these shapes and sequences and dots and letters and with my 0ver 40/40 vision, I am having a little trouble seeing every dot and line. But as was true 25 years ago in my test-taking days, I'm done in 5 minutes. Done!

Of course, Jim is over at the other table poring over his answers and making sure they are all correct and I'm looking at my watch wondering when will this all be over?!

Finally, mercifully, "Time's up!". She takes up our tests and we wait for the results. Waiting, waiting. Okay, finally, mercifully, she's finished. But before she reveals the good or/or bad news, she tells us the results will determine whether we can take the "short course" in Dutch or the "rest of your life" course.

Wait a minute. Our future Dutch course lies solely on the results of this test? THIS test?

What?! I didn't know this was serious! I would have pored some more! I would have checked over my answers! I would have taken the full 20 minutes! I, I, I would have . . . Well, no, I probably wouldn't have, but still . . .

She says "Jeem, you got all of them correct". Of course he did.

And with this consoling look on her face she says "Kadden, you missed 2". Followed quickly by "But that's good also". Well, not really. But nice try on making me feel good about scoring whatever that is if I wanted to do the math.

Now here's the best part. She says that even though I missed 2 (apparently close to being the 2 biggest mistakes I've ever made!) and even though I should be relegated to the "rest of your life" Dutch course, she will make an exception and allow me and Jeem (us being married and all) to attend the same class. Thank you! Thank you for not making me take the remedial "rest of your life" course and thanks to Jeem for poring and scoring a perfect 24. : /

So, after all that, we sign up for the 2 nights a week, 3 hours each time class. Yeah, that's TWO nights a week - THREE hours each night.

We attended our first couple of classes this week and I have to say . . . well, no I won't say that.

There are 22 people in a classroom the size of a really small bistro and only one other person from Scotland speaks English as their primary language. Let me repeat that. Only one other person out of 22 people in this class speaks English!

Plus, if you remember my post on Scotland - I'm not sure that's English.

So . . . Bulgaria, Romania, Armenia, Albania, Thailand, Poland . . . and the list goes on and on . . . and I need a map!

We interact with each other as part of the class so all I can say is - this is definitely not our old private lessons, these people are far from privileged, it appears they may have left their home country for a better life, and I'm looking forward to getting to know them!

This should be an interesting 4 months. Stay tuned.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I am an american living in Belgium,just arrived in December. I live in Beek (Stad Bree) with my soon to be Husband Erik. I noticed your weather was from Genk and that is close to me. Where are you taking your lessons just wondering?

    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a Dr. Seuss story to me.

    ReplyDelete