13 February 2010

Mardi Gras


Is French for "Fat Tuesday". And it's this coming Tuesday February 16.

But Mardi Gras begins at Epiphany and ends on Fat Tuesday. Followed by Ash Wednesday. Which begins the season of Lent. If you grew up Catholic, you know just what I'm talking about :)

I've lived in Louisiana pretty much my whole life and never been to Mardi Gras in New Orleans. Of course, I've lived in the US pretty much my whole life and never been a lot of places!

Mardi Gras is celebrated all over the world, but the biggest celebrations are probably in Mobile, Alabama - Rio de Janeiro, Brazil - Quebec City, Canada, and of course, New Orleans, Louisiana.

For many years we always baked a King Cake. Yum. And we often went to a parade somewhere. Just not New Orleans. But that was pretty much the extent of our celebrating.

So eat something good, make it a true Fat Tuesday, and for those of you in the Big Easy - please be careful and have fun. You know who you are :)

Heureux Mardi Gras!

1 comment:

  1. I went to Wal-Mart yesterday and got stuff to make king cakes! Wish ya'll were here to eat one!

    ReplyDelete