21 February 2010

The irony of it


On my list of things to bring back from the States is a Scrabble game. They are quite expensive here (imagine that) plus I figured the K and V are probably not worth much since these letters are in pretty much every Dutch word. Turns out that's not entirely true.

Anyway, I say to Jim "When we get our Scrabble game, wouldn't it be fun to play with the neighbors . . . one game in Dutch and the next in English?!" Of course he agrees. Like he always does :)

So it's the weekend and we're headed out to walk the hondje and we run into Jan (Yon) our neighbor. He asks if we'd like to come over at 7 or 8 and have a glass of wine. A no brainer.

We arrive at 7 or 8 and he says he has an old bottle of wine that was a gift and he'd like to share it with us. We protest telling him to save it for some special occasion and lo and behold he says this IS a special occasion. I guess he means us coming over for a glass of wine.

So he brings out this bottle and I say "1983! That's the year our daughter Randi was born!". The wine was good despite the age. Ha.

Then Annemie (wife of Yon) says "Do you ever play Scrabble?" I. Am. Not. Kidding. "Do we ever!" I told her she must be reading my mind and I will have to be more careful what I think from now on. I didn't really say that last part.

So that's what we did! We played Scrabble. In Dutch! Even with a dictionary, I didn't win and neither did Jim, but I think he came in second so not bad. Annemie won and frankly she might even beat us in English!






While we were playing Scrabble, the first bottle of wine ran dry and he (Jan/Yon) said he had another old bottle of wine he'd like to open and share with us. No protest this time. So he pulls out this bottle and I say "1989! That's the year our son Ross was born!".




Disclaimer: My share of these may or may not have had anything to do with my score in Scrabble.

So vintage wine and Scrabble. It was an evening of irony. Or coincidence. Whichever.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! What are the chances? And get this...we cleaned out the game closet THIS FRIDAY and we had TWO Scrabble games. Josh asked me which I wanted to keep and I said "We better hold on to both of them- I think Mom and Dad wanted to take one back with them!"

    ReplyDelete