23 February 2010

Flemish 101


I mentioned in an earlier post we are attending a new Flemish (Dutch) course and it has been quite an eye opener.

Since only me, Jim, and a guy from Scotland speak English, there are 20+ others who don't. So you might ask, how does the teacher teach when everyone speaks a different language?

In Flemish.

That's right. She only speaks Flemish and she gestures a lot. This may not be easy, but I think this is what we've been missing out on.

Forced Flemish.

Our teacher is a young woman named Veerle. She does a great job and has lived in Belgie all her life. Our other classmates have not. There's Anna from Poland, Ana-Maria from Romania, Naphat from Thailand, Michael from Scotland, Ivaylo from Bulgaria, Kaya, Mustafa and Taner from Turkey, Karina, Grisha, and Khoren from Armenia, Samantha and Bedri from Albania, Sylvanus from Cameroon, Ladi and Bobby from India, and more I don't know yet.

After a couple of brief conversations, I believe living in Belgium and this Flemish class may be all we have in common and I'm curious to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment