22 February 2010

Bankers' Hours


I'm sure you've heard the term "bankers' hours". It's used to describe a short work day and someone who works the most convenient hours - for THEM!

Well, that same term can be used for a lot of businesses here - not just the bank. I am amazed how many large businesses and most all small businesses shutter the doors for at least an hour at lunch time. Yeah, turn off the lights, pull the shades, and lock the door.

Of course, in the case of the bank, it's an hour and a half - from 12:30 to 2:00 (see exhibit below). Now keep in mind, the bank didn't open until 9:00 and once it reopens at 2:00, it's closed again at 4:30 (exhibit . . . again). And furthermore, notice no hours on Zaterdag or Zondag (refer to exhibit . . . again).

The ATM is open all the time as far as I know, but no drive-thrus. None. Not at any ATM or any bank. None.

As a matter of fact, the one and only drive-thru I've seen at any type of business is at the one and only American restaurant here. Thankfully it's just out of town. You can surely guess it. Golden arches, happy meal, hamburglar. But, I digress . . .


Now, while I find it unusual given the hours many businesses are open in the States (24/7), I can't say this system is completely flawed. Yeah, it's pretty inconvenient if you forget you're going to the bank and show up at 12:45. And don't think you're gonna wait it out by running down to the butcher or the baker 'cause, that's right, they're closed too.

On the other hand, at least everybody is assured of taking a break. When I was working, I almost never took a lunch break. My choice, but still. I think if everything had shut down, I probably would have.

But, oh yeah, it was a hospital. Now that's something I haven't checked here - hospital hours . . . perhaps I should. They may also have the second drive-thru. I'll let you know.

1 comment: