12 February 2010

Live and learn


This is often a difficult concept for me because I'm pretty gullible and don't always think things through. Here's what I mean.

This guy shows up at the door with 3 envelopes. Naturally, I let him in. He wants me to sign for them. I ask him what they are. He apparently speaks English like I speak Dutch so that was that. I see that the envelopes are addressed to the previous tenant of our house, Tom. For whatever ridiculous reason I immediately assume they are the house inspection we've been expecting.

Now, why would I think that these are our house inspections? And why do I think they would come to Tom? And furthermore, at his new address? I know - it defies all logic, but nevertheless that's what I thought.

So I say in English (knowing perfectly well he doesn't speak English because he's already proved it). I say "Oh, you're Tom" "The Tom who used to live here!" and he (who has no idea what I just said) says "Yes!". So naturally, I proceed as if he's Tom. I know, defying logic. Again.

He asks to come inside and naturally, I invite him in. All the way into the house, down the hall and into the kitchen! After all, he's Tom!

He still wants me to sign for these envelopes which seems strange, coming from Tom, but naturally, I sign on the dotted line and with relief like you wouldn't believe, he scurries toward the door. No chit chat. Nothing. Tom? Why the hurry?

So, for whatever reason, I open one of the envelopes expecting to find our house inspection. Instead I find these little envelopes with what appears to be tickets. Then, without any thought whatsoever, I open the other two envelopes. Inside each is another envelope with these little tickets.

Now, coming to my senses, I go back and examine the form I just signed my name to and it clearly says I just signed for something valued at 485 Euro. 485 Euro! What is that in US$? I should know this. Well, naturally, I panic realizing that I just signed my name for and am now in possession of 485 Euro worth of tickets! That belong to Tom!

How will I ever explain this? Especially to Tom?! I tell the whole story to Jim when he comes home and he wonders privately *How does she survive every day? and *Why did she open the other 2 envelopes? I have to ask myself the same question (just the second one) with no reasonable answer. Expecting to find something different in envelope #3? I. don't. know. why. I. just. did!

So he (Jim - not Tom) suggests I email our realtor who knows both us and Tom. The Tom I thought I knew, but had never seen. So I do. He says he'll let the real Tom know that I've got mail for him. In the meantime, I tell our huisbaas (landlord) about what I've done and she turns to her husband and tells him (in Dutch) what I've done and he gets this "Oooh, really? :/" look on his face. A clear indication that what I've done is incredibly stupid and probably irreparable.

So, I ask her (the huisbaas) if she thinks I should get Tom to sign for these tickets when he comes to pick them up and she says "Yes, definitely". Hmmmm, I believe this might be another indication I've done something incredibly stupid - bordering on inept.

So with this advice, I type out a full page explanation of my snafu and use our new copy/fax/scanner to make a "signature form" for Tom. I am ready. I'll make sure he's really Tom and I'll get his signature to prove it!

Tom rings the bell one evening and he (the real Tom) actually does speak perfect English and looks nothing like the other Tom. We chit chat and I tell him my ridiculous story. He wonders privately *How does she survive every day?* He takes the envelopes and being my gullible self, I let him leave without signing anything. That's right. He walked right out the door with his 485 Euro and my signature. Jim was even right there and didn't say a word about my fancy signature page!

I guess this should be one of those "live and learn" moments, but I suspect I'm capable of doing something like this . . . again. It's really only a matter of time.

1 comment:

  1. I barely function where everyone speaks the same language...well pretty much the same language.....guess I'd better never move to another country.

    ReplyDelete