21 January 2011

Solden


Solden. Soldes.


They're not on Google Translate, but I know what they mean 'cause they're all over the place. When you see this sign in the window, it means that something is on sale. Not just for sale, but on sale. A discount. After each season, these signs go up in all the stores downtown.


Prepared for all foreigners too.

But here's the interesting thing about it. It only lasts a couple of weeks. Every store, I presume in all of Belgium, apparently sets a specific date when the "sale" or "solden" is going to begin. And just as specific is the date when it's all over. Suddenly on a Monday, every store, EVERY store has all new merchandise for the upcoming season. I assume they spend all day Sunday making this transition.

I made my way downtown last week to check out the shoes 'cause as we all know, one can never have too many shoes. And lo and behold I found a pair. Just the one pair and at less than €100, is actually a bargain here.

Downtown Hasselt on one of the sales days.

I think it's a good concept. Everyone knows the sale is on and it's an event. Some people even take a day of vacation from work for this. The streets are crowded with shoppers looking for a bargain. And for good reason - I think I may have mentioned once or twice that everything here is expensive!

Well, except beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment