16 January 2011

Compiegne


We've driven to Paris several times and although France is a huge country, the road from Hasselt to Paris is a 4 hour drive through nothing but farmland. And toll booths.

In an effort to find a good stopping place to break up the trip and not get too far off the beaten path, Jim found the city of Compiegne. Located on the Oise River, Compiegne has a population of about 40,000.

This is their City Hall.


This is Eglise Saint-Antoine Church.


We had the whole place to ourselves.


This area was barricaded with an iron fence housing the remains of famous saints. You may be able to see the bones in those boxes.


In this same place, was this framed spike/nail so I took a picture thinking I could surely find some information about it on the internet. Well, I couldn't so I have no idea what this is. Railroad relic I presume.

That would be facetious. I know cathedrals rarely house railroad relics.


The Compiegne Palace

This royal residence assumed its present appearance in the reign of King Louis XV. After the Revolution, Napoleon I turned it into an imperial palace and did extensive restoration. From 1856 on, Napoleon III and Empress Eugenie organized the famous Compiegne Series each Fall inviting scientists, writers, artists and famous people to stay at the palace.

These next pictures were taken by Ross when he and his friend Erica toured the Palace. One of the few places Winslow wasn't welcome so we opted out of the tour.

Napoleon's bedroom.

Is that a bed? Did you know he was only 5' 2" tall? Oh yeah? Me too, same as me, I'm the same. I wish Ross had been in this picture to give it some perspective since he's about a foot taller than that.

"Drink me." comes to mind. And maybe a Chinese restaurant?

The Third Salon.
Not to be confused with the First and Second.

Napoleon medal

Napoleon was a master at cultivating his own glory by publicizing his victories and celebrating his rule and accomplishments. He had these medals struck to commemorate pretty much everything. They are beautiful.

The Salon des Cartes

Main staircase.
In the niche is a cast of Apollo.

This place was just completely deserted.

This is the Galerie de bal.
The ceiling has 12 compartments with paintings depicting the great battles of the empire.

Compiegne is also the site of Joan of Arc's capture on May 23, 1430. She traveled to Compiegne to help defend the city against an English and Burgundian siege. She ordered a retreat, assumed the place of honor as the last to leave the field. She was executed at the age of 19 on May 30, 1431.

So if you're looking for a good place to stop north of Paris, I recommend Compiegne, France. You won't have to stand in line at the palace or the church for all the other tourists 'cause there aren't any.

2 comments:

  1. Joan of Arc...that made it all click for me! I knew I'd heard of Compiegne before even though I'd not been north of Paris..only south. Love the travel reports.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could this nail have been used to crusify somone?

    ReplyDelete