12 July 2010

Jammer


Translation: pity, unfortunate

I can't even believe I know this, moreover, can't believe I'm posting about this. Again.

I'm talking about voetbal. Soccer.

Furthermore, I can't believe I actually watched the final game of the World Cup. On TV!

Well, most of it or some of it.

As you may or may not know, the Netherlands (aka Holland) lost to Spain.

Jammer.

FYI
Holland is a name in common usage given to a region in the western part of the Netherlands. The term Holland is frequently used to refer to the whole of the Netherlands. From the 10th to the 16th century, Holland proper was a unified political region rules by the Countof Holland. Today, it consists of the two Dutch provinces of North and South Holland, which together include the Netherlands' three largest cities: Amsterdam, The Hague, and Rotterdam. So, basically, the Netherlands is not just Holland.

Of course, neither the Netherlands nor Spain have ever won the World Cup, so for Spain . . . Felicitaciones!

Since Maastricht, a town in the Netherlands, about a half hour from Hasselt, is so close, we decided to drive there and check out the frenzy, should there be any.

Well, there was. And this was an hour or two before the game even started. And it was the hottest day I've experienced in Europe. Something like 95 degrees.

You may have guessed what the team color is.

The city set up these two huge screens to watch the game on.
But these were most definitely not the screen(s) we watched it on.

Oh, and lest I forget to mention those stupid horns. Called vuvuzelas. They really are the most annoying thing I've ever heard. Although I can think of more than a few reasons why I won't be attending a soccer game, this tops the list.


So, I guess I'll be like most Americans and go back to ignoring soccer for the next four years.


Jammer.

But, good luck to the oranje team in 2014!

No comments:

Post a Comment