21 July 2010

Independence Day


Happy 21st of July!

And that's about as much celebrating as you'll see here on Belgium's Independence Day.

When we asked our neighbors what sort of celebrations might take place - maybe some fireworks on the canal, a parade around the ring, a backyard barbeque, anything? They said "It's really just a day off from work".

That's it.

I did see some pictures of a parade that takes place in Brussels. Totally military. No beauty queens or Shriners.

The day actually signifies when Belgium gained their independence from the Netherlands in 1831. There was a revolution and, no surprise, it involved the economy, politics, and religion.

Does history repeat itself or what?

So, I'm sure Belgians appreciate their independence and apparently celebrate it simply by taking the day off.


Happy Independence Day, Belgie

1 comment:

  1. Well, as it says in Ecclesiastes, "there is nothing new under the sun." And the older I get the more I see the wisdom in these words.

    Maybe you could find some sparklers and go to a park and start a new Belgium tradition! Have I ever mentioned how I love sparklers? I think it is the smell :) Reminds me of fun times.

    ReplyDelete