25 May 2011

Like a Kid in a Candy Store


Thanks to Steve (works for Norbord) and Georgina (his wonderful girlfriend), we learned about an amazing store. The American Food Store. It's about an hour from our house in a little town outside Antwerp.

Ross, his friend Laurel (from Texas) and me took a road trip to this awesome little bodega.


Yes, they have a whole display of nothing but Pop-Tarts.


Instant Jello-O pudding.


Lucky Charms.


Thanksgiving will never be the same. Or it will be the same!
Libby's canned pumpkin and Ocean Spray cranberry jelly.


Jif peanut butter.


And Kraft Jet-Puffed marshmallows.
It's like I gave them my shopping list!


Campbell's Soup. Pam.


Hormel Chili - No Beans.


A full aisle of Duncan Hines, Pillsbury, Betty Crocker cakes mixes AND canned frosting.


Tootsie Roll Pops, Jolly Ranchers . . .


Unbelievable - Jose' Cuervo Margarita Mix :)

This may sound crazy if you're an American reading this, but none of this is available in Belgium or Germany or Netherlands or France. As far as I know, this little American Food Store which opened in 1962 is the one and only place where you can find all this stuff.

With the exception of the wonderful items Randi (thank you!) has stuffed into her bag when she's visited, I've not laid eyes on any of this for nearly two years!


So, here's my purchase just for today 'cause I'll be back.
Candy corn. Reese's. Jiffy cornbread. Rotel. Nilla wafers.


Did pretty good on this bag of Tootsie Roll Pops. Only one brown to throw away.
DebB, if only it wouldn't cost €10, I'd mail it to you.


Yeah, things were a bit pricey. My whole bill was more than I will reveal and trips to the American Food Store may be few and far between. That can of Lysol up there was €7. That's about $10. This can of Rotel was one of the few items with a sticker on it. That's about $5. Worth it.


This was dinner.
It was a good, no, a GREAT day.

1 comment:

  1. That is truly Americana! I love that you took pictures in the store:)

    ReplyDelete