27 May 2011

Battles and Barbeques


For many, Memorial Day is just a holiday from school, day off from work and perhaps a family barbeque. It certainly was for us. Despite my Daddy serving in WWII, we never did anything to commemorate this day. I must admit as a young adult I didn't do much more.

I didn't grow up with a family member in the military. There was no war in my backyard. Wars were somewhere else. Far, far away. With people I'd never know. I still feel somewhat that way today. I'm even grateful to live far, far away from the wars I hear about on the news. Grateful I don't really know any of those people. They're strangers to me. What a shame to admit that. Perhaps you have similar feelings?

Until we moved to Europe, I suspect that attitude may have remained unchanged. Sadly, as an American, I had no real appreciation for the price of freedom. Oh, I appreciate freedom. I mean an appreciation for the price of freedom.

I'd like to think that's all changed somewhat. I hope I never have to experience the tragedy that is war. Wouldn't it be wonderful if no one else did either? Here, in Belgium and all across Europe, there are celebrations on our American Memorial Day weekend. It's not a Belgian holiday and there's no day off from work or school. People here commemorate the tens of thousands who lost their lives liberating this country and others. The famous Battle of the Bulge occurred just an hour away from where we live now. The war really was in their backyard.

Yes, we attend commemorative events in the States too, but I never did.

Last year we attended a commemorative event at the Netherlands American Cemetery. This year we will attend another commemorative event at the Henri-Chapelle American Cemetery here in Belgium. It's about an hour from our house and is the resting place for over 8,000 American soldiers.

At the end of this post is a video describing this cemetery. I found it by visiting a website called American Battle Monuments Commission which gives a brief history of the 24 cemeteries overseas. They are beautifully maintained and a laudable tribute.

Only 1% of our population is a member of the military and the other 99% of us are forever in their debt. If you are able to attend such an event, I recommend it. If not, perhaps take a moment during your family get-together to pay your respects not only to the lost, but also to the living.

This video is on YouTube and has been viewed a mere 64 times. I hope you will make it 65.


No comments:

Post a Comment