08 April 2011

Class Dismissed


Well, we made it through yet another Flemish class. This week has been devoted to exams. Although we didn't study nearly enough, I think we both did okay.

It started on Tuesday night with reading comprehension. This is probably the lowest level of understanding when it comes to a foreign language. I often overanalyze the question, but I felt pretty good about my answers.

One exam down.

Wednesday was devoted to listening and writing. Certainly the next level and way more difficult than reading. After the first listening exercise, I was sure I should probably just walk out. I couldn't believe I didn't understand a word of it. On to the next one where I heard just enough to fabricate an answer. I was sure there was no way I'd done well enough to pass this section.

On to the writing. Despite not always conjugating the verb correctly and perhaps not always having the sentence structure in the right order, I thought I did okay.

Two more down.

So last night was the speaking part. No doubt this is considered the next level. Forming sentences in your own head in addition to pronouncing them so someone else can understand. I contemplated drinking my celebration champagne prior to the exam, but thought better of it.

Turns out, I can speak Flemish correctly albeit with a slow drawl. This exam may actually be my saving grace. Oh, the irony.

Our teacher told us we could show up for our diploma in a couple of weeks on a Tuesday night so I don't want to make any assumptions, but I think that means we passed.

On our way home, we talked about the whole class experience. I said that although I didn't take it too seriously, I sure wanted to do well on those exams. Jim said it was one of the most humbling experiences. I agree.

I figure it's like childbirth. I'll forget the 4 nights per week, 3 hours each night and probably sign up for the next level. Everybody forgets about childbirth. Otherwise everybody would be an "only" child.

1 comment:

  1. Every time I comment on your blog it changes all my capital letters to lowercase ones. So, for the record, I do know that all sentences begin with a capital letter...no matter what language you're speaking. ;)

    ReplyDelete