05 April 2011

Carnavale


This past weekend, Hasselt held its Carnavale celebration and parade. I'm not sure why it isn't on Fat Tuesday, but rather on the 4th Sunday of Lent. Anyway, it is.


On Friday, all the schoolchildren dressed up and had their own parade.
This thing went on for about a mile. Looked like they were having fun.


Then on Sunday afternoon, the big parade was held.


I've never been to Mardi Gras and I know this can't possibly compare,
but it was a nice event.


Some of the costumes were quite elaborate.
Like this dress and matching hat.


They threw out tons of candy and what else . . . waffles!
Not quite the same as the moon pies in Jefferson :)


And there was plenty of this for somebody to clean up the next day!

2 comments:

  1. That looks like fun! I would love to get waffles from a parade.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a bunch of fun. I don't know... I think I'd go with the waffles. Besides, we went to the Jefferson Mardi Gras parade this year, and I think I saw maybe 1 or 2 moon pies thrown the whole time. C'mon! Maybe if I lived in Belgie where waffles grow on trees, beer flows like wine, and moon pies are hard to come by, I'd feel differently.

    ReplyDelete