24 October 2010

Snapshots


I always carry my camera with me. I call it my camera, but it was actually a Father's Day gift Ross gave to Jim a few years ago.

So I guess it became our camera :)

Sometimes I snap photos that don't have any particular significance, but I like to look at them just the same.


This house is in our neighborhood. I don't know why, but I like it.

~~~~~~~

We have never seen trailer houses (okay, mobile homes) in Belgium.


Until now.

We wondered where all the white trash lived.

I'm just saying what you were already thinking.

Actually, I have no idea what this little community is, but we found it in Rochefort.

~~~~~~~

If you're in France or the French-speaking part of Belgium, you're gonna want to look for this sign. I'm pretty sure it means this restaurant has a beverage license to sell alcohol.


~~~~~~~

Everyone here carries a zakdoek.
And I think about half of them never make it back home.


~~~~~~~

All Belgian highways are lit like this. I understand it is the only man-made structure you can see from the moon at night.


~~~~~~~

I really love ice cream. This would not be my first choice, but I know someone I'm definitely bringing back to this ice cream stand. Randi.


~~~~~~~

In addition to Jenever, Hasselt is also know for a particular recipe of speculaas cookies with almonds. Recently I was walking around town and for the first time noticed this recipe etched in the sidewalk. I'm sure I've stepped on it a dozen times and never noticed it.


gesnipperde almonds - how can you not love that?

~~~~~~~

Belgium is not known for fast food. Subway and McDonald's are the only ones that have made it into Belgium as far as I can tell and you have to drive just out of the city to get to our McDonald's.


I really don't even like McDonald's, but sometimes you just want something that tastes like you remember. Well, we ate at the local McDonald's the other day and I can tell you that Royal Cheese up there is better known as a Quarter Pounder with Cheese. It was lekker and tastes exactly like it does in the States. That lapse in judgement should last me for another year or two.
~~~~~~~


Only Jim would choose to eat this at a Mexican restaurant and waste a perfectly good chance to eat an enchilada. I will never understand this. Never.

~~~~~~~


Brussels sprouts. Did you know they grow like this? They do and they really do come from Belgium and they are not good. Trust me on that one.

1 comment:

  1. Lavender ice cream?!?! Lekker! Add that to the foods I want when I'm thre list!

    ReplyDelete