22 June 2011

War and . . .


War.

We've just finished watching Band of Brothers. It's a WWII mini-series from 10 years ago so most of you have probably already seen it. If you haven't, you should.

It had particular significance since we are now very familiar with many of the little towns where battles were fought. Eindhoven, Foy, Bastogne . . . all about an hour from where we now live.

War. I wondered if there has ever been a day in recorded history without it.

Answer: No.

Depending on which scholar is quoted, there has been an unbroken period of hostility between one group of people or another since at least 2925 B.C., maybe as far back as 4000 B.C., and there is archaeological evidence of war possibly as far back as 12,000 B.C.

As we watched the movie and saw these towns that are so near to us being destroyed it was hard to believe it was all true. The determination, the fear, the courage, the incredible loss of life, it seems surreal. Just a generation ago, this area was occupied. And if history repeats itself - can we assume a similar fate in the future?

I don't think there's any mystery as to 'why is there war?', but I have to wonder . . . 'why is there peace?'

Ancient texts of Hindus, Christians, Muslims, Chinese . . ., including those we base our current moral values on, often show an overwhelming lack of concern for human life encouraging war, slaughter, stoning, torture and genocide.

The truth is, we actually live in one of the most peaceful times on earth. Right now. From recorded history to the present, there has been a steady decline in violence. So why do we think we live in a more violent world?

Probably because we're better at reporting it. And you have to admit it's not as easy to get support for your cause if you say "things are just getting better and better". The fear factor at work.

I recently did a blog post on the death penalty and considering there was a time when one could be stoned to death for picking up sticks on a Sunday, the lethal injection may seem like progress.

As I've mentioned a few times, I grew up Catholic. My parents went to church every week until the day they died. They were Catholic and that's what you did. When the Catholic church started offering Mass on Saturday nights, my parents began to attend.

Sometimes on Sunday morning, my Daddy would get out and mow or rake or . . . pick up sticks around the house. His next door neighbor, a young Baptist, came over one Sunday morning and told my Daddy he shouldn't be working on the Sabbath.

Now, first of all you must understand the vast difference in these two men.

My Daddy was about 65 years old at the time, had grown up in the Depression, was the oldest of 10 children whose father died when he was maybe 13 years old, did not have the luxury of attending college, had survived WWII, had worked hard every day of his life since then, and still managed to go to church every week. On Saturday night.

His neighbor was maybe 30, had grown up in the 60's, his parents were still living, he was a college graduate, had read about WWII, had worked about 5 years so far, and apparently knew his Bible.

My Daddy didn't say much and the neighbor soon figured out my Daddy was a good man and that he didn't need counseling on sticks, stones or the Sabbath.

They were friends and neighbors for nearly 20 more years.

Youth - wasted on the young.

Thankfully we enjoy peace today because of men like my Daddy and those who fought in the 101st Airborne highlighted in Band of Brothers, and countless others. There's no reason for history to repeat itself. The world is a more peaceful place than it has ever been before and we have the good fortune to enjoy it . . . as well as the duty to preserve it.

2 comments:

  1. Good points.I have not watched Band of Brothers and I think it is beacause my father....who was in the Navy in WW II (his ship was sunk near Italy) always made me watch Combat (popular 60's show about WW II) instead of my favorite, Daktari (based on the book Born Free.) I have always liked lions better than war, but maybe I will check it out. I know Josh loves this series.
    P.S. Jim mows on Sunday sometimes and we are Baptist, although Dr. Dale (Presbyterian) would have never done that. Jim (the Lawn Ranger) enjoys mowing...therapy rather than work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Band of Brothers was really eye opening for me! I didn't really know much about WWII, but it really makes you realize the sacrifices made.

    ReplyDelete