17 June 2011

Howdy Podnuh


I really don't like country music.

I hate all the stupid lyrics 'bout truck drivin' an' boot scootin', drinkin' an' honky tonkin', lovin' an' cheatin'.

Can you believe that 2 out of every 5 Americans are country music fans? And that about 4 million people tuned in for the 2011 CMT awards? Okay, that's not much compared to the U.S. population of 310 million, but still.

Sure, it may grow on you like a bad addiction and I may have listened to a song or two of Willie Nelson and Glen Campbell, but that's it. Okay, I may have gone to a John Denver concert and I may have loved it and I would definitely go to a Dolly Parton concert, but that's definitely it.

I may have danced in a straight line with others doing the same thing a time or two, but that's it! I cringe at the thought of encountering a picture of Billy Ray Cyrus, however the mullet is my preferred hairstyle according to the internet and my face shape.

When I was growing up, my parents never listened to country music. My brothers, who were driving before I hit kindergarten, listened to the Beatles and the Rolling Stones and Jimi Hendrix. I love that music.

My high school and college days were spent listening to bands like the Eagles and Fleetwood Mac and Boston. I love that music.

As a kid, on Sunday nights we watched Lawrence Welk. I even enjoy watching reruns when I get the chance. The Lennon Sisters and Norma Zimmer were household names. And either you know this by heart . . . or you don't.

Goodnight, sleep tight, and pleasant dreams to you

Here's a wish and a prayer that every dream comes true

And now 'til we meet again

Adios, Au Revoir, Auf Wiedersehn.

Good night!

-lyrics by Jack Elliott, music by George Cates


* * *


When Jim and I were first married and before we had children, we traveled to Nashville to spend Thanksgiving with Jim's uncle's family. We were treated to a wonderful Nashville experience including attending the Grand Ole Opry. The family still hasn't let me forget that I went to sleep during the show! And the only people I remember seeing before my nap were Minnie Pearl and . . .



this guy.


Yes, he wore that outfit and sang "Trembling Lips". Good heavens. I think you get my point.


I do kind of regret missing the Louisiana Hayride during its heyday - pun intended, but it ended the year I was born. Just an hour down the road in Shreveport, it's where Elvis Presley made his first television appearance in 1955.


Side note: If you've never been to Graceland, go. It is un-believeabl . . . y tacky.


Side note II: Blog post title reference - Podnuh's is a BBQ restaurant chain in Louisiana. There is/was one in Monroe and the first time Jim and I ate there, I asked "What is a pod noo?" He quickly set me straight by explaining that it meant "partner". You know, like pod - nuh. Okay, I guess it's already spelled just like it sounds.


* * *


Since Jim got his bargain violin (aka fiddle) at the antique market, he's been playing a few country tunes not only on the fiddle, but also listening to some on his computer. Well, I hate to admit it, but I actually like some of it. And he wouldn't want me to say this, but he's actually getting pretty good on the fiddle. I picked it up, gave it a try and put it right back down. It's damn near impossible to play that thing.


So as a result of this new "country music and fiddle playin'", I won't be tuning into the CMT 2012 awards show and I still don't like country music, but I do have a new favorite song. It's from way back in 1987. Here's the video. Hit Play and then sing along with the lyrics below. Then do it again :)




You may think that I'm talkin' foolish
You've heard that I'm wild and I'm free
You may wonder how I can promise you now
This love that I feel for you always will be
But your not just time that I'm killin'
I'm no longer one of those guys
As sure as I live, this love that I give
Is gonna be yours until the day that I die.

(Chorus)
Oh baby I'm gonna love you forever
Forever and ever amen
As long as old men sit & talk about the weather
As long as old women sit & talk about old men
If you wonder how long I'll be faithful
I'll be happy to tell you again
I'm gonna love you forever and ever
Forever and ever amen.

They say time takes its toll on a body
Makes a young girls brown hair turn gray
But honey I don't care I ain't in love with your hair
And if it all fell out well I'd love you anyway
They say time can play tricks on a memory
Make people forget things they knew
Well it's easy to see it's happenin' to me
I've already forgotten every woman but you.

(Chorus)
Oh darlin' I'm gonna love you forever
Forever and ever amen
As long as old men sit & talk about the weather
As long as old women sit & talk about old men
If you wonder how long I'll be faithful
Just listen to how this song ends
I'm gonna love you forever and ever
Forever and ever amen.

I'm gonna love you forever and ever
Forever and ever
Forever and ever
Forever and ever amen.

1 comment:

  1. Very funny post! My sis, Lori, has always loved, "Forever and Ever, Amen"....and she really isn't much of a country music person either. That song makes her cry...me, too. (And I am coming around to some country after being very anti country most of my days.)
    About Jim and his fiddle...very cool and I want to hear him play...I wish he could have seen Bowfire at Tech. It was so amazing! I love that CD and listen to it regularly....also love the Kentucky Thunder. That fiddle player is so young and so awesome. Youtube Ricky Scaggs and Kentucky thunder! I love, love, love good fiddle/violin music. The Band Perry has a good fiddle sound in some songs. There is also Jean Luc Ponty and Stephan Grapelli...if you like it in a jazz mode. Tell Jim he and Jim can jam when he is in the states. We will put Josh on bass. :)

    ReplyDelete