18 May 2010

You can't have it both ways


I occasionally read the headlines. In English. About the U.S.

I don't read the headlines. In Dutch. About Belgium. But I do wonder sometimes if they are similar.

We all know that once we've made up our minds about something or someone, it's nearly impossible to change it. As the current Thomas Jefferson quote on my blog implies . . . we all think we're open-minded.

But we really aren't.

It's true. Even when the facts don't support our opinion, we may actually think the facts are wrong!

Facts. You know, those things that are proven as true.

I think the uninformed will believe almost anything.

That's me.

Well, not quite.

I may be uninformed about almost everything, but I definitely won't believe almost anything.

I'm fascinated with the media. And sickened by it at the same time. It amazes me how narrow-minded some people are. And by "some", I include myself on occasion. I've never said I'm not opinionated.

Naturally, it's impossible to read the headlines without reading something political.

Like I was just reading an article on gun control. It seems the NRA has interpreted Obama's policy on gun control beyond recognition. It's pretty amazing really. And I don't even have an interest in gun control. I barely know what NRA stands for, but . . .

Do you ever hear something so absurd you have to say to yourself . . . that simply can't be true? Or at the very least say to yourself . . . is that true?

Now, here's the big question. Do you ever take that next step and find out? I'll admit I often don't. Most of all because it doesn't affect me or I just don't have an interest in it.

But if I do have an interest and/or I do plan to go out and repeat it, wouldn't it be prudent to be sure it's fact and not fiction?

I mean those real facts. The ones that are proven to be true.

I find buzz words like limited government intriguing. Does it ever strike you that we seem to demand and reject government action - simultaneously!

No more stimulus money . . . but, but do fix our roads. Reduce my taxes . . . but, but don't touch Medicare. Basically, could you just fix it all, get out of the way, regulate sometimes, don't spend any more money . . . and do it all at the same time?

In theory, it sounds good. In reality, not so much. I mean "limited government".

Like regulation of business. There's too much regulation, not enough free market! But make sure those CEO's don't get another bonus. And can you do that by not regulating, please.

When I hear the term limited government, I'm reminded of something I heard recently . . .

Is it possible that the new definition of limited government is "government limited to the people we agree with"?

Naive optimism. Catering to the public's ignorance.

It would be funny. If it weren't true.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, you are right, people don't want facts because the truth is not popular and never has been and probably never will be. I just wish people would read the Federalist Papers and learn about the principles our founders/framers set forth to insure a country where people were free to do their best and reap rewards for doing so. Their understanding of human nature and their forethought is amazing. They were fleeing tyranny due to a tax rate lower than ours is now. We strayed off their path many years ago and now we can't even see the path for the brambles and briers of a growing, bloated nanny state. (Remember the thorns around Sleeing Beauties castle!) The chant, "womb to the tomb" will be our death knell.

    ReplyDelete