16 May 2010

I'm cookin' now


Our neighbor gave me a cookbook. A Belgian cookbook. With "101 ideeen uit de traditionele Belgische keuken". No excuses now, right?

I've chosen vleesbrood. Meatloaf. How hard can that be?

With kriekensoep. Cherry soup. Hmmm. Well, at least this should mask any potential failure with the vleesbrood.

I've spent an inordinate amount of time translating, and according to Google Translate, I will need the following:

300 grams of varkens-rundgehakt (minced pork-beef)

Pork-beef?

Three hundred grams. I kinda think of grams in terms of grains - like grains of sand.

It's not.

Three hundred grams is actually more like 10 oz.

And, pork and beef are two different things - even in Belgium, aren't they?

300 g mager rundgehakt (lean minced beef)

More beef?

1 blik gepelde tomaten (1 can peeled tomatoes)

Just the one blik.

BTW, canned cokes also come in bliks.

1 omega 3 ei (ei = egg)

An omega 3 egg.

Really? Apparently those extra fatty acids from flax seed-eating hens makes all the difference in meatloaf.

Who knew?

1/2 tl nootmuskaatpoeder (1/2 tsp. nutmeg)

Noot-muskaat-poeder.

Does this kinda sounds a bit like a vermin toxin?

According to Jim, it is. He really hates nutmeg.

1 mespuntje cayennepeper (1 pinch of cayenne)

Just a mespuntje.

2 sjalotjes, gehakt (2 shallots, minced)

Gehakt - a good word to know.

1/2 bosje platte peterselie, fijngehakt (1/2 bunch parsley, finely gehakt)

1 tl olijfolie, om te terrine in te vetten (1 tsp. olive oil to grease the pan).

That "tl" is an abbreviation for theelepel = teaspoon.

Thee = tea and lepel = spoon.

And a pan to grease. I'm gonna need this.

peper en zout

Yeah, that's just what it looks like.

The kriekensoep (aka mask for potentially failed vleesbrood):

250 g noordkrieken op sap (cherries in juice)

I must assume these come in something other than a blik.

1 el honing (1 Tbsp. honey)

The "el" is an abbreviation for eetlepel = tablespoon.

Eet = eat and lepel = spoon (still)

6 zwarte peperkorrels (6 black peppercorns)

Only ZES. Specifically.

1 stokje kaneel (1 cinnamon stick)

1 el 4 kruiden (1 Tbsp. 4 herbs)

This is where I could use more specifics. I don't know these "4" herbs.

5 cl wijnazijn (5 ?? wine vinegar)

I'm gonna need a cl measurer. I assume this is centiliter and best I can tell from the internet - this is about 1 oz.

Voila! To the markt (ja, dat is how markt is spelld).

Now all I need to do is translate what to do with all this stuff :-|

No comments:

Post a Comment