18 July 2011

Fiesta Europa


This past weekend Hasselt held Fiesta Europa - a market where traders bring typical products from their homeland to sell.


Places like Finland, Hungary, Spain, Austria, Poland, Italy, Netherlands, France, Germany, and England.

The first thing I noticed as I approached was the American and British flags. The booth, which, strangely enough, incorporated both countries, was selling . . . can you guess?

Not clam chowder, apple pie or hot dogs.

Not fish 'n' chips, black pudding or crumpets.

I'll give you a chance to think about it.


Some of the booths were really beautiful like this one.


Others not so much. I think this booth was German. This really smelled good, but I couldn't bring myself to actually eat that.


These are cherries grown just a few kilometers from our house. We definitely bought some of them.


Jim really likes this dried sausage.


Several countries were offering it - Spain, Italy, France. We bought some from this French guy.


And here's what was sold at the USA/UK booth - FUDGE. Surprised? Fudge is impossible to purchase here and nearly impossible to make too. I love the fudge made with marshmallow creme and chocolate chips - neither of which are available here. With all the chocolate, I guess they just don't need fudge.

Smakelijk!

1 comment:

  1. Hmm, that pig looked rather roasted!

    ReplyDelete