01 February 2011

La Ciutat


The City

We inadvertently took a detour and walked up a very steep hill on our way to a park high above the city. Turned out we got to see a side of Barcelona that tourists probably don't make it to - a typical neighborhood.


Some of the levels are reachable by stairs and even some escalators - outside!


A neighborhood school. You can see the children at recess.


Palm trees are common and were much larger and fuller than the ones I typically see in Florida.


The weather was warmer than Belgium, but we still needed a coat and it did rain some. It was January. The last day we were there, the sun came out and it warmed up to around 13 C. I'll do the math - that's about 55 F.

We saw a lot of these little parrots.

Orange trees were pretty common too.

This is probably the most famous street in Barcelona - La Rambla.
Tree-lined and pedestrian-friendly, it is about 2 km (little over a mile).


We were very impressed with the metro once again. It was very clean and much of it appeared new.

A typical street with shops and restaurants.


These archways are common dividing a street from either another street or a plaza.


Barcelona is a fairly large city and we covered some ground which meant we did a good bit of "mapping" and occasionally getting lost.

I've got about a hundred photos I am anxious to post on my blog. My laptop is running like a terrapin for some reason soooo it is taking f o r e v e r ! I'm hoping when my computer expert finishes his exams, he'll help me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment