07 March 2011

The Milky Way


The European headquarters for Mars (not the planet) is in Brussels so I suppose that's one of the reasons we're able to purchase these yummy products here. Mars makes all the good stuff - M&M's, Twix, Milky Way, and my personal favorite, Snickers.

Mars is still a family owned business, owned by, of course, the Mars family. The company was started by Frank Mars in 1911 and after some initial failures, became a huge success.

They also own Whiskas cat food and Pedigree dog food. And if that weren't enough, along with Berkshire Hathaway, they now own the Wrigley, Jr. Company which, as you may know, produces Skittles, Juicy Fruit gum, Lifesavers, and my personal favorite, Starburst.

It's gotten to be a regular occurrence, but I often remark when I eat something new here . . . "this tastes like something else". Jim thinks it's ridiculous, but if given long enough, I can figure it out. Like the speculoos spread here. It's actually a spread, similar to peanut butter, made with hazelnuts, but it tastes just like peanut butter mixed with Steen's ribbon cane syrup. I'm sure of it.

But back to the good stuff . . . the chocolate.


This says it's a Milky Way, but it is in fact a Three Musketeers.



This says it's a Mars, but it is in fact a Milky Way.


I can't find an explanation for why the Mars company would go to the trouble to package these candy bars differently for Europeans.

I've read up on the Three Musketeers and it's only a novel, albeit historical, about 4, not three, friends in France. The main character, d'Artagnan goes to Paris to fulfill his dream of joining the Musketeers of the Guard.

This Guard was an actual fighting company of the Royal Household of the French Monarchy from the early 1600's to the early 1800's, but I still can't figure out the Mars candy bar name-change.

Anyway, I don't even like Three Musketeers bars and you imagine my disappointment when I bought a whole bag of Fun Size "Milky Ways" only to discover they were not . . . Milky Ways or Fun.

But all is right with the world because . . .


This says it's a Snickers and it is in fact a Snickers.

1 comment: