16 March 2011

Haar haar


In Flemish, the word for hair (haar) is the same as the word for her (haar). According to Jim this makes perfect sense since, also according to Jim, haar haar is a common topic around here.

I admit I can obsess about my haar from time to time, but according to Jim, I can obsess for up to two hours at a time which is entirely untrue. Thirty minutes tops. It just seems likes two hours.

So if you frequent my blog from time to time (thank you), you know that finding a hair stylist in Belgie has been a challenge. I went from walk-in-no-appointment-necessary to our French neighbor Frere' Jacques to the oh-so-talented Turkish Halil.

Well, as much as I love Halil, he simply cut my hair too short last time and I've been going through the painful growing-out stage ever since. I think I secretly love that stage because I'm always in it. So you can imagine my hesitation to once again give Halil free reign with my haar or worse, try someone else who either doesn't speak English or is scissor-happy.

So despite 99% of Belgians speaking perfect English, the remaining 1% are all hair stylists. I decided my goal was to find someone who speaks good, or at least some, English and go from there. How bad can it be if we can communicate, right? My first stop turned out to be the only one. I think I may have found my jewel. She speaks perfect English, she listened carefully to me (and it didn't take nearly 2 hours) and she wasn't scissor-happy. One small problem - she's having a C-section in 4 weeks and she'll be out for 8 weeks after the C-section. I can live with that. By the way, her name is Ina. Pronounced Eena. There is no long "i" here so it's not like Ina Garten.

My hair has been greying since I was in my mid-twenties so I've done a little coloring of my haar. I've always kept it dark brown because I love dark hair. I am envious of Asians. I love dark, smooth hair. I have never once wanted to be blond. I fear I may in fact be becoming dumb enough to be blond. That was a joke. I, in no way think blonds are dumb. I think there are just as many dumb brunettes. I'm probably one of them.

So this past week I knew for sure it was time for a trim when Jim offered to do it for me. Since my hair is probably 75% grey, I decided to add highlights. Like Ross says, no one will mistake this for any natural color, it is a little streaky, but I think I like it.

Of course Jim was wonderful and bragged on it, said he loved it, took out the camera and took pictures. He's so sweet . . . or is he just afraid of that grudge I'll hold . . . either way, I am grateful. When someone takes about 20 pictures just to get one good one of your new 'do, is that a bad sign?

The pictures definitely don't do it justice like this accidental video :-)




2 comments:

  1. I love your haar! You always looks so fabulous. Speaking of haar, while we were in Dubach, Ben ran into W.O. Bagwell who used to cut his hair. He misses W.O! Finding a stylist is stressful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! I want highlights this summer but don't want to pay $70-100 for them ....so you have given me the courage to try! Do you have advice?

    How do I know the name Ina Garten??...oh wait, she is the cook on the food network, right. I like her pretty well. That took me about 10 mins to remember...the wheels are turning pretty slowly.

    ReplyDelete