10 October 2019

Diagonal Driver Diatribe

As noted in my post entitled "Text and Drive", I am astounded (read horrified) at the average driver here in Shortview.  Since I rarely venture out of the house, I really have no idea how people drive elsewhere, but I know for sure I'm probably driving in the most dangerous big town in Texas.  It's likely documented somewhere on the internet that Longview Texas is among the most dangerous places to take to the road.

At least Texas did catch up with much of the nation when a law took effect in late 2017 that prohibits texting while driving.  It hasn't deterred some of the drivers I see on the road, but hopefully statistics will show that it saved lives.  Somewhere.

I had to take a driving test when we returned to the States. Although it must have been in the manual somewhere, I missed it - running a red light well after the light has turned is mandatory.  I read a newspaper article recently (seriously) reminding drivers in our area to count to three before taking off at a green light as, and I quote, "it may save your life".  A green light.  Yes, your light has turned green which ordinarily means it's your turn to go, but no, not here.  That's the time when one, usually two and maybe even three cars still go through the intersection.  I worry about being rear-ended when I don't run the light.  Remember, count to three or four or . . . stay home.

A couple of years ago I read an article in our local newspaper about a 74 year old doctor - one month from retiring - driving his vintage 1999 Lexus from his home in an older neighborhood headed back to his office after lunch.  Broadsided.  Killed.  The 37 year old driver of the honking Ford F250 admitted to running the red light.  That doctor never got to see that article about counting to three.  

I google that driver's name from time to time - nothing ever happened besides a ticket for failure to yield.  Where is the outrage?

Then there's the driver who pulls into traffic if there's any chance he/she can make it without being broadsided.  There won't be a soul for a mile behind you, but if there's the slightest opening, they're pulling out.  In front of you.  Mandatory.

I could go on and on so I will.  There's the weaver who weaves in and out of traffic, continuously exceeding the speed limit to get ahead.  At best he/she will make it to the next red light one car ahead of you. Unless they run it and most likely will.  

Now to the menace of every large parking lot.  For unknown reasons, WalMart, Lowe's, and the like have parking lots twice as big as they could ever fill up.  With this comes the diagonal driver.  Without fail, I see them every time I enter one of these establishments (which I try to keep to a minimum).  Another mandatory driving technique.  Why would you go up and down each aisle when you can go diagonally across the parking lot?  I definitely see the logic.  I just can't figure out what would happen if we all did that.  Oh wait, I think I know.

Be careful out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment