08 October 2013

Originality is not expensive

For about 2 or 3 weeks in September, Ross and I went "kringwinkeling" nearly every day.  Mostly to find things to furnish his new apartment.

Before

But I often find things I just can't pass up . . .


Like this adorable chest of drawers.  Only 10 euros!

I've mentioned the kringwinkel on several occasions in my blog posts because it truly is one of my favorite things to do.  Flanders (northern half of Belgium) has captured and refined the art of bargain hunting and I am all in.


Ross found this 1950's Bernina sewing machine - runs off pedal-power, not electricity!

Begun in 2002, there are now 118 kringwinkel stores in Flanders so you're never more than about 20 minutes away from one and the treasures change daily. 

Their mission is pretty simple: save the environment and social responsibility.

- recycling what would have been waste into useful and affordable items for nearly any budget.

- to create jobs for people who have few opportunities in the labor market here - we can't all be doctors and lawyers and Indian chiefs.


I know, I know, but for 5 euros, this hedgehog was calling my name.


Sometimes it's difficult to get the larger items in the car . . .


like when we were trying to get this cabinet in the trunk.

Seriously, we actually saw this pink Cadillac.  In Belgium.  We didn't stay to witness what eventually happened, but we figured despite the cowboy's determination, THAT was definitely NOT going to happen.

Since not every purchase is in perfect condition, occasionally some modifications are needed . . .


Here's Jim, Ross and his sweet friend Laurel doing just that.
Yes, that's my finger over the lens.  I have quite a few pictures like this on my phone :-/


Sanding away.  
Notice. No finger in the picture.

Jim and Ross constructed his new desk from a door and some pipes.

Not bad, huh?

Ross also did his own artwork to decorate the walls.


His studio wasn't limited to the garden . . .


it also encompassed the dining room/parlor? for a week or so.


I'd say it turned out quite nice.


Home sweet home.


Sometimes I can't help picking up a thing or two for the kleinkinderen.


How adorable is this dress for 3 euro?!

No comments:

Post a Comment