25 January 2013

Good Intentions

You know the aphorism (a saying expressing a belief)

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

Well, in case you don't . . .

it is attributed to Bernard of Clairvaux (1090-1153).  Bernard was an abbot (head of a monastery) and Clairvaux is in France (a country in Europe :).

Bernard's claim to fame is starting the Cistercian order which basically means monks and nuns living self-sufficiently in seclusion growing crops and most importantly . . . brewing beer!

Studies on ethical behavior show that the best of intentions, especially in business and politics when the ideology of  "the end justifies the means", often backfires and causes unintended pain.  In other words, sometimes we idealists don't always know what's best for everyone.  Shocking.

Perhaps the author, Stephen Post got it right

"If the road to hell is paved with good intentions, 
it is partly because that is the road they generally start out on."

In keeping with "starting the year off right" with good intentions and all, I figured I should have at least a couple of resolutions.  Although I could always eat less and exercise more, I probably won't.  And fortunately I don't have to quit smoking or get organized.  

So . . . I'm back challenging another Flemish teacher to work her magic and rid me of my drawl while miraculously invoking that guttural hacking-up-a lung bark required for speaking Dutch and German.

I'm always optimistic that one day I will say something simple to the postal clerk and she will not furrow her brow and respond with "Wat zeg je?" as if I was speaking Klingon.  

To which I reply, "Well, I really only speak English".  To which she responds in perfect English and looks at me like "you should probably stick with English", which ends my Flemish practice session once again.

I'll keep you posted on any miracles that may or may not occur.

As far as good intentions, I think Mark Twain may have nailed it

"New Year's Day now is the accepted time to make your regular annual good resolutions. 
Next week you can begin paving hell with them as usual."

No comments:

Post a Comment